• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Solutions to backup/sync folders on mac OSX to NAS?"

Collapse

• css_jay99
    replied
    I am planing on moving my plex server (currently running on a mac mini) to the NAS .... which I guess means I will have to run off an SSD?

so freeNAS and unraid to look at then.

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
    Do I run this off the internal SD/USB slots or running off an SSD connected to the internal sata port?.
    I run it off a USB stick. I've not come across any problems with ZFS volumes being dropped personally. I was running it on a N40L microserver and am now running it off a Lenovo TS140 server. It doesn't need much CPU grunt (unless you're running a lot of plugins like Plex), but it does like RAM.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    As I've said before in here look at unraid. Offers support for a single / dual disk failure (from 6.2 onwards) and using docker containers allows you to add any app you could possibly want.

It also supports Kvm virtual machines

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Do I run this off the internal SD/USB slots or running off an SSD connected to the internal sata port?.
    You can run it off a USB pen.

We've tried FreeNAS at current clientco, on an IBM X3550M5 with 16 1TB disks, it lost the ZFS mount every single day, tried a dozen installs, in the end just stuck WSS 2012 on it and it's been rock solid even though it's Windows.

Check the forums re: FreeNAS, we weren't the only folks with the same issue, don't think it likes USB installs but neither does WSS, had to waste two 1TB disks....

Leave a comment:

• css_jay99
    replied
    Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    FreeNAS.

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    I have a unused HP Microserver Gen8 so was wondering what OS is best?. Primary uses are storage and media server.
    FreeNAS.

Leave a comment:

• css_jay99
    replied
    cheers for all the options.

I taken Time machine backup for now and will try out the rsync type products.

Meanwhile the power switch on my 8yr old Synology NAS is faulty which means if it powers down, I might not be able to get it back up again and Synology customer services says they don't have the parts.

I have a unused HP Microserver Gen8 so was wondering what OS is best?. Primary uses are storage and media server.

Also can anyone recommend a good Desktop HDD enclosure that can handle 6TB drives?

cheers

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    500gb Mac on a 1TB drive.

Is it a problem?
    INKSPE!

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Also Time Machine deletes files when the disk gets full so watch it for that.
    I've always been happy with that as I'm not that bothered with keeping back up that are more than 9 months old (I'm backing up a 500gb Mac on a 1TB drive).

Is it a problem?

Leave a comment:

• v8gaz
    replied
    Your Synology has an app called Cloudstation that will do exactly that - and share to other machines if required.

Leave a comment:

• administrator
    replied
    Just having a look around and found this one - FreeFileSync - Free Backup and File Synchronization Software might be worth checking out...

I do like rsync though.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Goodsync works pretty well. It's a file and folder sync and has many features.

My only issue is the regularity with which they release updates.

And another comment: if you have it wake up periodically to sync, then it "wakes up" the NAS perhaps more often than you might wish. This would be true for all sync s/w of course.

EDIT: if your syncing is undemanding, Goodsync has a free version
    http://www.goodsync.com/free-vs-pro
    Last edited by Platypus; 11 May 2016, 14:46.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Thanks,

I have just had a brief read on Carbon copy and Super Duper and they are more of a Drive backup solution rather than folder/file sync

chronosync looks exacly like what I want. I will have buy 3 licences at $60 per osx machine ...

A quick read on the rsync manual shows that a single command line with do the job. I might have to look at building a shell script around this to make the task more robust
    CCC does ryscing too.

Chronosync server doesn't run as a daemon (or didn't) - got fed up with starting it.

Also Time Machine deletes files when the disk gets full so watch it for that.

Leave a comment:

• css_jay99
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    I would have another think about Time machine, its a great little bit of kit, so easy to restore, automated, you can select what folders you want to back up, but unless space is an issue I would always recommend doing it all
    Post selection of only folders of interest, I thought that TM will end up adding other new files on the filesystem not detected at the time of selection?

I tend to also backup my 4TB NAS to 2*2TB portable USB HDD so a full Time Machine backup will blow my space requirements ...

Leave a comment:

• css_jay99
    replied
    Thanks,

I have just had a brief read on Carbon copy and Super Duper and they are more of a Drive backup solution rather than folder/file sync

chronosync looks exacly like what I want. I will have buy 3 licences at $60 per osx machine ...

A quick read on the rsync manual shows that a single command line with do the job. I might have to look at building a shell script around this to make the task more robust

Leave a comment:

Working...
X