• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Solutions to backup/sync folders on mac OSX to NAS?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your Synology has an app called Cloudstation that will do exactly that - and share to other machines if required.
    World's Best Martini

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      Also Time Machine deletes files when the disk gets full so watch it for that.
      I've always been happy with that as I'm not that bothered with keeping back up that are more than 9 months old (I'm backing up a 500gb Mac on a 1TB drive).

Is it a problem?
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        500gb Mac on a 1TB drive.

Is it a problem?
        INKSPE!

Comment

cheers for all the options.

I taken Time machine backup for now and will try out the rsync type products.

Meanwhile the power switch on my 8yr old Synology NAS is faulty which means if it powers down, I might not be able to get it back up again and Synology customer services says they don't have the parts.

I have a unused HP Microserver Gen8 so was wondering what OS is best?. Primary uses are storage and media server.

Also can anyone recommend a good Desktop HDD enclosure that can handle 6TB drives?

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
            I have a unused HP Microserver Gen8 so was wondering what OS is best?. Primary uses are storage and media server.
            FreeNAS.
            And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
              FreeNAS.
              Do I run this off the internal SD/USB slots or running off an SSD connected to the internal sata port?.

Comment

Do I run this off the internal SD/USB slots or running off an SSD connected to the internal sata port?.
                You can run it off a USB pen.

We've tried FreeNAS at current clientco, on an IBM X3550M5 with 16 1TB disks, it lost the ZFS mount every single day, tried a dozen installs, in the end just stuck WSS 2012 on it and it's been rock solid even though it's Windows.

Check the forums re: FreeNAS, we weren't the only folks with the same issue, don't think it likes USB installs but neither does WSS, had to waste two 1TB disks....

Comment

As I've said before in here look at unraid. Offers support for a single / dual disk failure (from 6.2 onwards) and using docker containers allows you to add any app you could possibly want.

It also supports Kvm virtual machines
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I run it off a USB stick. I've not come across any problems with ZFS volumes being dropped personally. I was running it on a N40L microserver and am now running it off a Lenovo TS140 server. It doesn't need much CPU grunt (unless you're running a lot of plugins like Plex), but it does like RAM.
                    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

I am planing on moving my plex server (currently running on a mac mini) to the NAS .... which I guess means I will have to run off an SSD?

so freeNAS and unraid to look at then.

Comment

Working...
                      X