• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IP address from forum posts?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IP address from forum posts?

Don't worry not about to stalk anyone or worried they might be stalking me (although I'm sure of you fancy me!).

Assume a forum post is associated with an ip address. With said IP address, you could work out a posters location and organisation (they've posting from).

Assume only an admin would be able to obtain such info.

Was having a chat to a mate of mine who, believe it or not, is worse than me and gets into some right barnies on a variety of forums. He asked me this and I must admit I wasn't sure.

Would seem to make sense that ordinary forum posters can't obtain this info otherwise surely you'd have people finding out info and going around commiting GBH etc. lol.

So internet techies - how does it all work?
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Only admins (or whoever admin allows, based on permissions sets) can see the IP address which the post supposedly came from.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      Don't worry not about to stalk anyone or worried they might be stalking me (although I'm sure of you fancy me!).

Assume a forum post is associated with an ip address. With said IP address, you could work out a posters location and organisation (they've posting from).

Assume only an admin would be able to obtain such info.

Was having a chat to a mate of mine who, believe it or not, is worse than me and gets into some right barnies on a variety of forums. He asked me this and I must admit I wasn't sure.

Would seem to make sense that ordinary forum posters can't obtain this info otherwise surely you'd have people finding out info and going around commiting GBH etc. lol.

So internet techies - how does it all work?

Depending on the forum software, but most, including VBB track posts by IP address. This is only visible to the admin team and is most useful in banning spammers.

So let's say a user signs up called MarkyPhilippines and his IP address is 121.1.11.166. Then 30 seconds later another user signs up called FreddyThailiand and his IP is also 121.1.11.166. Then we get someone else later that day signing up from 121.1.11.168.
      (And it could be signing up or posting).
      The forum software allows admin to block either specific IP addresses, or ranges. That way when a spam company tries to flood the forum, they can just block 121.1.11.*

Equally, if a post appears advertising spam, the admin can search for all posts from that IP address (regardless of user), and decide on the actions to take.
      This is also one way of spotting sockies - two users posting from the same address and when one user's address changes, so does the other. It's not 100% foolproof as you may have 10 members all working for the same ClientCo so they would have similar addresses.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

https://geoiptool.com

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          Only admins (or whoever admin allows, based on permissions sets) can see the IP address which the post supposedly came from.
          Thought that was the case. Of course, not that difficult to change etc.

I'm guessing though being a home user its even more difficult because it will just point to your ISP. Who would then need to check DHCP logs to ascertain IP address (have had a few "issues" with torrents where I've had letters from ISP).

Stupidest thing though IMHO is arguing the toss with people on facebook forums/groups. I mean, come on, you're name is on there. Not necessarily you're address but still it aint hard to find out.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            Fine when only Admin had the capability, but he seems to have recently shared it with his underlings who are now engaged on a sockie witch-hunt
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Stupidest thing though IMHO is arguing the toss with people on facebook forums/groups. I mean, come on, you're name is on there. Not necessarily you're address but still it aint hard to find out.
              You seem to be working under the premise that it's OK to behave like an arse if you're anonymous?

Comment

Originally posted by teapot418 View Post
                You seem to be working under the premise that it's OK to behave like an arse if you're anonymous?
                Me - behave like an arse? Never....

Half this forum that is!

Comment

I'm guessing though being a home user its even more difficult because it will just point to your ISP. Who would then need to check DHCP logs to ascertain IP address (have had a few "issues" with torrents where I've had letters from ISP).

It will point to the IP address your ISP has given your connection at the time. They don't change that often - maybe once every few months depending on the ISP, or when you reboot your router.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Thought that was the case. Of course, not that difficult to change etc.

Don't forget that you need to take IP spoofing into account - the supposedly in my first reply is because I can in theory fake my IP address to make it look like I'm posting from elsewhere (the same principle that is applied to getting American Netflix content in the UK allegedly )

Stupidest thing is upsetting braindead Liverpool fans. They take things very personally.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                    X