• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IP address from forum posts?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stek View Post
    Blocked here. I assume this gives location based on IP?
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      Depending on the forum software, but most, including VBB track posts by IP address. This is only visible to the admin team and is most useful in banning spammers.

So let's say a user signs up called MarkyPhilippines and his IP address is 121.1.11.166. Then 30 seconds later another user signs up called FreddyThailiand and his IP is also 121.1.11.166. Then we get someone else later that day signing up from 121.1.11.168.
      (And it could be signing up or posting).
      The forum software allows admin to block either specific IP addresses, or ranges. That way when a spam company tries to flood the forum, they can just block 121.1.11.*

Equally, if a post appears advertising spam, the admin can search for all posts from that IP address (regardless of user), and decide on the actions to take.
      This is also one way of spotting sockies - two users posting from the same address and when one user's address changes, so does the other. It's not 100% foolproof as you may have 10 members all working for the same ClientCo so they would have similar addresses.
      OK I admit I am NLUK as well....

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        Blocked here. I assume this gives location based on IP?

Yup. Plenty of other tools like that around...
        IP Address Lookup

...etc
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          OK I admit I am NLUK as well....

Do you claim JSA for 2 posters or just one?

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            Do you claim JSA for 2 posters or just one?
            One week I claim JSA as myself, then I dont wash or shave for a week and sign on as Mr P Candy. Works well since signing is two weeks apart. Double the JSA.

Comment

Still on with the JSA line.. Impressive
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                Fine when only Admin had the capability, but he seems to have recently shared it with his underlings who are now engaged on a sockie witch-hunt
                I'm intrigued. If that were true, why would it be a problem?
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                  Fine when only Admin had the capability, but he seems to have recently shared it with his underlings who are now engaged on a sockie witch-hunt
                  I don't believe that at all. There are quite a few fairly obvious sockies (although I don't know the owners) and while they provide entertainment (although they annoy the crap out of me and some others) no action is taken. Sadly the standard cycle of attention seeking completes it's journey and many of them get too extreme and get kicked off.

That's certainly not a sockie witch hunt. IMO, all be all up for one but it appears while they are harmless they are accepted to some degree.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    I'm intrigued. If that were true, why would it be a problem?

It wouldn't be a problem.

(On other forums...) Sometimes sockies are allowed to survive because the users who use them are well respected among the posters for being helpful, but when said user wants to be a bit more playful they choose a second user to do that. (I'm not saying that is good or bad, but I know it happens. In those cases the mods contact the user and let them know that they know about the sockie and that it will be allowed as long as the user behaves)

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      Still on with the JSA line.. Impressive
                      I didnt bring it up!

Comment

Working...
                      X