• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Home Hub 5 dropping Lan ports

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Hub 5 dropping Lan ports

Okay I give up. Just upgraded from BT "Total Broadband" to "Infinity", with a Home Hub 5 replacing my previously reliable Home Hub 3.

The service is fine. Only problem is the 4 lan ports on the back of the hub. In short, they keep dropping, leaving whatever is on the other end marooned. I have a Netgear connected to one port, and when that port goes down, anything hanging off the Netgear switch is offline. Any ideas ? Wireless fine, broadband fine. I have spent about an hour queueing with the BT service desk but not managed to speak to anyone. The Home hub 3 never had this problem. Effectively, I can't have a home network until this is resolved.

Originally posted by unixman View Post
    Okay I give up. Just upgraded from BT "Total Broadband" to "Infinity", with a Home Hub 5 replacing my previously reliable Home Hub 3.

The service is fine. Only problem is the 4 lan ports on the back of the hub. In short, they keep dropping, leaving whatever is on the other end marooned. I have a Netgear connected to one port, and when that port goes down, anything hanging off the Netgear switch is offline. Any ideas ? Wireless fine, broadband fine. I have spent about an hour queueing with the BT service desk but not managed to speak to anyone. The Home hub 3 never had this problem. Effectively, I can't have a home network until this is resolved.
    One word - Apple Airport Extreme...........

Comment

Faulty ? My HH 5 is very reliable and doesn't drop connections. The web interface and advanced router capabilities are tulipe though.

Comment

Have you done a full reset of the device? Does the same thing happen regardless of which LAN port you use?

How do I reset my BT Home Hub to its factory settings? | Help | BT.com Help

If that doesn't help it's faulty - shout at BT until they send you a new one.

Comment

When you say the LAN ports are going down, have you tried connecting anything other than a hub/switch to them - such as a PC or TV?
          What I'm wondering is... Do you need to reconfigure the netgear unit? Check your IP addresses and the config to see if something is clashing.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I have power cycled the Hub and also tried a full factory reset. I have also power cycled the Netgear switch and all connected clients.

Yes, the same thing happens if I use different Lan ports.

The port connected to the Netgear switch has gone down, and also ports connected direct to a client (a raspberry Pi). Reconfigure the Netgear unit ? There is no configuration, it is just an unmanaged GS208.

I'd love to shout at BT but so far have just spent an hour queuing. Their support is all geared up for answering questions about broken wifi and Internet drop outs, not Lan ports. Explaining all this to an Indian call centre is a pleasure to look forward to.

Comment

Is the cable you are using Cat5e (or higher)?
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I have power cycled the Hub and also tried a full factory reset. I have also power cycled the Netgear switch and all connected clients.

Yes, the same thing happens if I use different Lan ports.

The port connected to the Netgear switch has gone down, and also ports connected direct to a client (a raspberry Pi). Reconfigure the Netgear unit ? There is no configuration, it is just an unmanaged GS208.

I'd love to shout at BT but so far have just spent an hour queuing. Their support is all geared up for answering questions about broken wifi and Internet drop outs, not Lan ports. Explaining all this to an Indian call centre is a pleasure to look forward to.
                Does the GS208 have an automatic uplink port or or there a wee button to set it - usually the last port I think.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                  Does the GS208 have an automatic uplink port or or there a wee button to set it - usually the last port I think.
                  No button, the GS208 is a very basic gigabit switch. BUt seems to have auto uplink built in. NETGEAR GS208 8-Port Desktop Gigabit Switch

@WTFH - Yes the cable is Cat5e. The same cable performed faultlessly with the HH3.

Comment

IP conflict?

Comment

Working...
                    X