• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Home Hub 5 dropping Lan ports"

Collapse

• unixman
    replied
    Many people (not me) reported wifi and broadband drop outs with the HH5, and after about a year BT eventually heaved out a patch, which improved things.

All ISP routers are cheap and noddy I think, and not really suitable for sophisticated/power users, who replace them with Billion or similar. Might go that route.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I don't really have that high an opinion of the HH5 after 1 year of using it, used to drop a lot over wifi which caused issues with the sonos.

I think it is incorrectly pitched as a top end bit of gear.

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    IP conflict? Definitely no duplicated IP addresses on the network. Also no evidence in the client log files (Raspberry Pis) of any network problem.

Running another test now. I swapped out the gs208 switch for another. Also Netgear, this is a gs605 v2. See how it goes...

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    IP conflict?

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Does the GS208 have an automatic uplink port or or there a wee button to set it - usually the last port I think.
    No button, the GS208 is a very basic gigabit switch. BUt seems to have auto uplink built in. NETGEAR GS208 8-Port Desktop Gigabit Switch

@WTFH - Yes the cable is Cat5e. The same cable performed faultlessly with the HH3.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by unixman View Post
    I have power cycled the Hub and also tried a full factory reset. I have also power cycled the Netgear switch and all connected clients.

Yes, the same thing happens if I use different Lan ports.

The port connected to the Netgear switch has gone down, and also ports connected direct to a client (a raspberry Pi). Reconfigure the Netgear unit ? There is no configuration, it is just an unmanaged GS208.

I'd love to shout at BT but so far have just spent an hour queuing. Their support is all geared up for answering questions about broken wifi and Internet drop outs, not Lan ports. Explaining all this to an Indian call centre is a pleasure to look forward to.
    Does the GS208 have an automatic uplink port or or there a wee button to set it - usually the last port I think.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Is the cable you are using Cat5e (or higher)?

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    I have power cycled the Hub and also tried a full factory reset. I have also power cycled the Netgear switch and all connected clients.

Yes, the same thing happens if I use different Lan ports.

The port connected to the Netgear switch has gone down, and also ports connected direct to a client (a raspberry Pi). Reconfigure the Netgear unit ? There is no configuration, it is just an unmanaged GS208.

I'd love to shout at BT but so far have just spent an hour queuing. Their support is all geared up for answering questions about broken wifi and Internet drop outs, not Lan ports. Explaining all this to an Indian call centre is a pleasure to look forward to.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    When you say the LAN ports are going down, have you tried connecting anything other than a hub/switch to them - such as a PC or TV?
    What I'm wondering is... Do you need to reconfigure the netgear unit? Check your IP addresses and the config to see if something is clashing.

Leave a comment:

• BackupBoy
    replied
    Okay I give up. Just upgraded from BT "Total Broadband" to "Infinity", with a Home Hub 5 replacing my previously reliable Home Hub 3.

The service is fine. Only problem is the 4 lan ports on the back of the hub. In short, they keep dropping, leaving whatever is on the other end marooned. I have a Netgear connected to one port, and when that port goes down, anything hanging off the Netgear switch is offline. Any ideas ? Wireless fine, broadband fine. I have spent about an hour queueing with the BT service desk but not managed to speak to anyone. The Home hub 3 never had this problem. Effectively, I can't have a home network until this is resolved.
    Have you done a full reset of the device? Does the same thing happen regardless of which LAN port you use?

How do I reset my BT Home Hub to its factory settings? | Help | BT.com Help

If that doesn't help it's faulty - shout at BT until they send you a new one.

Leave a comment:

• adubya
    replied
    Faulty ? My HH 5 is very reliable and doesn't drop connections. The web interface and advanced router capabilities are tulipe though.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Okay I give up. Just upgraded from BT "Total Broadband" to "Infinity", with a Home Hub 5 replacing my previously reliable Home Hub 3.

The service is fine. Only problem is the 4 lan ports on the back of the hub. In short, they keep dropping, leaving whatever is on the other end marooned. I have a Netgear connected to one port, and when that port goes down, anything hanging off the Netgear switch is offline. Any ideas ? Wireless fine, broadband fine. I have spent about an hour queueing with the BT service desk but not managed to speak to anyone. The Home hub 3 never had this problem. Effectively, I can't have a home network until this is resolved.
    One word - Apple Airport Extreme...........

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    started a topic Home Hub 5 dropping Lan ports

Home Hub 5 dropping Lan ports

Working...
X