• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boosting wifi in a large house

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boosting wifi in a large house

I am sure this problem is common with the mega-millionaires that inhabit CUK, but at the fringes of the house the wifi strength is poor. My twins have started whining(aren't teenagers supposed to sulk in their room?).

I have tried playing round with the router position which has helped a little.

I was thinking of something using the ring main?

MrsBP hates exposed wires!

Thanks

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I am sure this problem is common with the mega-millionaires that inhabit CUK
    Yes it is.

My house has lots of reinforced concrete, so wifi can go through maybe one floor, but not more. I have three PowerLine adaptors to extend the range. One in the cellar which the router is plugged into, then one each on the ground and first floor. The one in the first floor is sufficient for the second floor as well.

It's possible to configure them so they all have the same SSID, but I couldn't be bothered, so I've got three differently named wifi points in the house.

Note, they work better if the socket isn't shared, and don't work so effectively on a plug planner.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Yes it is.

My house has lots of reinforced concrete, so wifi can go through maybe one floor, but not more. I have three PowerLine adaptors to extend the range. One in the cellar which the router is plugged into, then one each on the ground and first floor. The one in the first floor is sufficient for the second floor as well.

It's possible to configure them so they all have the same SSID, but I couldn't be bothered, so I've got three differently named wifi points in the house.

Note, they work better if the socket isn't shared, and don't work so effectively on a plug planner.
      I've always found the powerline wifi things a bit hit and miss due to some crap wiring somewhere in our house.

The approach I took is to place one or two of these in strategic places... I just needed one in the library....
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Yes, power line adaptors work. Other options are to use the search function here and check out the thread where using old routers or sitting through a Cisco webinar to get a free access point was discussed
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Or get another divorce, and the large house problem is at last solved.

Comment

Threesome for me too
            Ssid = House 1, 2, 3 using different channels.

My Bungalow is quite a sprawling affair so WiFi is weak at the extremities
            I did flood wire cat 5 some years ago except for the garage block so I have power line to that.
            Main WiFi router in my Soho providing DHCP and DNS patched into an unmanaged switch.

Second WiFi router acting as a passive switch in our annexe which provides WiFi in the most awkward part of the bungalow
            Third WiFi router acting as a passive switch in our main bedroom
            I only ran the one cable to that room and now need the extra ports TV Youview Freestat etc plus that gives Wifi to that end of the bungalow

Normally the passive routers are only switched on when needed main Router cover the bungalows core lounge kitchen bathroom etc.
            I don't use 5Ghz range is too reduced by obstructions
            Also tried no end of variations on antenna but never seen much of a difference.

I love this app on Google Play for wifi strength checking around the house and for same channel interference from neighbours

http://wifianalyzer.mobi
            So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

I repurposed an old BT router as second wireless access point, after it had been gathering dust in the loft for several years.

Reuse a spare BT Home Hub as a Wireless Access Point | Unix etc.

Comment

I was thinking of something using the ring main
                To stop the kids whining? Aren't there laws against that?
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I am sure this problem is common with the mega-millionaires that inhabit CUK, but at the fringes of the house the wifi strength is poor. My twins have started whining(aren't teenagers supposed to sulk in their room?).

I have tried playing round with the router position which has helped a little.

I was thinking of something using the ring main?

MrsBP hates exposed wires!

Thanks
                  Still, you must have saved good money on an electrician.
                  There's no pleasing some people
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

An advantage of having three separate wifi's is that you can change the password on the one the kids like to use in their rooms if you need to sanction them for something.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X