• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help with broken/old PC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with broken/old PC

Never been that much into repairing PC's so don't know why I offered but I have a friends old PC at home that I'm trying to salvage some data from. It was running Windows ME ( I know , I know ) but all I get when I switch the thing on is an intermittent manual clunking sound ( presumably from the hard disk ?). Sometimes it gets as far as the "Safe Mode" menu but wont even boot into that now.

Is there anything I could do or should I just hand it back and say its a gonner ?
    I don't know my arse from an hole in the ground

Try booting it using a CD/floppy first and see if you can read the disk afterwards Or put the disk in another machine (but not as bootable)

Hth

Comment

It's dead Jim. The clunking is probably the HDD stepper motor which means the HDD is fecked beyond DIY recovery. If there is anything hugely inportant on it they could pay a professional data recovery outfit to get it back but thats about it.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

You could always try the old Hard Drive In The Freezer trick.
        Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
          You could always try the old Hard Drive In The Freezer trick.

Thanks all, and as for the "Ice Station Alpha" suggestion, I'll give it a try as I've got nothing to lose, though the owner of the PC unfortunately does.

I'm off home now to wind down for the weekend - so if anyone asks...

You aint seen me, right ?

Comment

surely you should just try seeing if you can read the disk with another PC first.

tim

Comment

Unscrew the top cover off the hard disk. Now use it as an ashtray.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Its a Maxtor, a very cold one at the mo, as it's been in the freezer since yesterday evening.

Fingers crossed eh ?

Comment

Bloody hell - 300 posts and each and every one of them (apart from the last couple) complete drivel.

Comment

Have you seen Zeitghosts post count?
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                    X