• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Help with broken/old PC"

Collapse

• Clownio
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco
    So has it worked then??
    I'll let you know tomorrow.....

Exciting isn't it ?

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    I once spent a delightfull 8 hours in the server room of a well known investment bank removing drives from IBM PS/2's tapping them with a rubber mallet and putting them back in again.

They'd had a DR excersise and shut everything down. When the IBM's came back up all the disks had stuck cos it had been so long since the last time they were powered down. ( 3 years ). A sharp tap with the mallet freed them up and got them going again.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by Clownio
    Its a Maxtor, a very cold one at the mo, as it's been in the freezer since yesterday evening.

Fingers crossed eh ?
    So has it worked then??

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Have you seen Zeitghosts post count?

Leave a comment:

• Clownio
    replied
    Bloody hell - 300 posts and each and every one of them (apart from the last couple) complete drivel.

Leave a comment:

• Clownio
    replied
    Its a Maxtor, a very cold one at the mo, as it's been in the freezer since yesterday evening.

Fingers crossed eh ?

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Unscrew the top cover off the hard disk. Now use it as an ashtray.

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    surely you should just try seeing if you can read the disk with another PC first.

tim

Leave a comment:

• Clownio
    replied
    Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
    You could always try the old Hard Drive In The Freezer trick.

Thanks all, and as for the "Ice Station Alpha" suggestion, I'll give it a try as I've got nothing to lose, though the owner of the PC unfortunately does.

I'm off home now to wind down for the weekend - so if anyone asks...

You aint seen me, right ?

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    You could always try the old Hard Drive In The Freezer trick.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    It's dead Jim. The clunking is probably the HDD stepper motor which means the HDD is fecked beyond DIY recovery. If there is anything hugely inportant on it they could pay a professional data recovery outfit to get it back but thats about it.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Try booting it using a CD/floppy first and see if you can read the disk afterwards Or put the disk in another machine (but not as bootable)

Hth

Leave a comment:

• Clownio
    started a topic Help with broken/old PC

Help with broken/old PC

Never been that much into repairing PC's so don't know why I offered but I have a friends old PC at home that I'm trying to salvage some data from. It was running Windows ME ( I know , I know ) but all I get when I switch the thing on is an intermittent manual clunking sound ( presumably from the hard disk ?). Sometimes it gets as far as the "Safe Mode" menu but wont even boot into that now.

Is there anything I could do or should I just hand it back and say its a gonner ?

Working...
X