• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Network Switch

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network Switch

I'm having a blonde moment, if I want to have my Proliant 54L talk to my TS140 thinkserver I'm needing a switch? A simple £30 netgear one from Maplin suffice?

Can I have a cable from my T420s to the switch then cables to each server to be connected? Or is there more config required?

cheers

qh
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Theoretically that's all you need. However a smart managed HP switch makes more sense
    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
      Theoretically that's all you need. However a smart managed HP switch makes more sense
      Cheers, I did have this setup before I moved house but it was a "borrowed" switch and a mate set it up, wish I'd paid more attention.

This is just my home sandbox network so doesn't need to be all singing all dancing or expensive.

qh

Comment

Nobody needs a managed switch for a home network unless you're doing some sort of network segregation.

This is all you need.

NETGEAR GS308-100UKS 8 Port Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000 Mbps Switch: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

In fact you could probably get away with just crossover cables if the two machines only need to talk to each other, but I'd advise a switch.
        And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

If the Nics in either of your devices are Auto Sensing and all you want to do is get them talking to each other without any other connectivity then all you will need is a standard cable
          So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

Cheers all, bought the GS308.

qh

Comment

I specced up a switch for the office (prior to project canning), Cisco something, 48-port gig - £32,000!!!

If project hadn't have been canned I think we'd have gone for a few daisy-chained el-cheapo switches for £7.99 each.

Comment

Originally posted by DallasDad View Post
                If the Nics in either of your devices are Auto Sensing and all you want to do is get them talking to each other without any other connectivity then all you will need is a standard cable
                As part of the GB Ethernet spec, all NICs are autosensing.
                And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Working...
                X