• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Network Switch

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Network Switch"

Collapse

• b0redom
    replied
    Originally posted by DallasDad View Post
    If the Nics in either of your devices are Auto Sensing and all you want to do is get them talking to each other without any other connectivity then all you will need is a standard cable
    As part of the GB Ethernet spec, all NICs are autosensing.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    I specced up a switch for the office (prior to project canning), Cisco something, 48-port gig - £32,000!!!

If project hadn't have been canned I think we'd have gone for a few daisy-chained el-cheapo switches for £7.99 each.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Cheers all, bought the GS308.

qh

Leave a comment:

• DallasDad
    replied
    If the Nics in either of your devices are Auto Sensing and all you want to do is get them talking to each other without any other connectivity then all you will need is a standard cable

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    Nobody needs a managed switch for a home network unless you're doing some sort of network segregation.

This is all you need.

NETGEAR GS308-100UKS 8 Port Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000 Mbps Switch: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

In fact you could probably get away with just crossover cables if the two machines only need to talk to each other, but I'd advise a switch.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Originally posted by Scruff View Post
    Theoretically that's all you need. However a smart managed HP switch makes more sense
    Cheers, I did have this setup before I moved house but it was a "borrowed" switch and a mate set it up, wish I'd paid more attention.

This is just my home sandbox network so doesn't need to be all singing all dancing or expensive.

qh

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    Theoretically that's all you need. However a smart managed HP switch makes more sense

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    started a topic Network Switch

Network Switch

I'm having a blonde moment, if I want to have my Proliant 54L talk to my TS140 thinkserver I'm needing a switch? A simple £30 netgear one from Maplin suffice?

Can I have a cable from my T420s to the switch then cables to each server to be connected? Or is there more config required?

cheers

qh

Working...
X