• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

More disk space for MacBook

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More disk space for MacBook

I have a mid 2014 MacBook Pro which came with a 256GB memory module. I store my data in a 4TB NAS I have at home, but have somehow still run out of space after two years as 256GB is not much these days.

As a temporary solution I am using a 128 GB USB 3 stick which is fast and has increased my memory by 50% - http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-SDCZ.../dp/B00YFI1EBC

But what I really want to do is upgrade the drive (not covered by warranty). This guy has a video on how to do it - http://youtu.be/HxoHddnxcaQ

I would be ok with swapping the drive, the only part I am wary about is where to source the memory module. I don't want to buy it off some random eBay seller and brick my machine. Has anyone here swapped their drive? If so where did you buy the part from?

Originally posted by Einstein Jnr View Post
    I have a mid 2014 MacBook Pro which came with a 256GB memory module. I store my data in a 4TB NAS I have at home, but have somehow still run out of space after two years as 256GB is not much these days.

As a temporary solution I am using a 128 GB USB 3 stick which is fast and has increased my memory by 50% - SanDisk SDCZ43-128G-G46 Ultra Fit USB Flash Drive, USB 3.0, 128 GB: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

But what I really want to do is upgrade the drive (not covered by warranty). This guy has a video on how to do it - http://youtu.be/HxoHddnxcaQ

I would be ok with swapping the drive, the only part I am wary about is where to source the memory module. I don't want to buy it off some random eBay seller and brick my machine. Has anyone here swapped their drive? If so where did you buy the part from?

Take a look on Amazon and go for any of the big name branded SSD's. Seagate, Western Digital etc.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I got mine from Crucial.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Just to be clear it's not a regular 2.5 inch SSD - it's one of those PCI Flash SSDs - if that's what you got, do you have a link to the one you used?

Comment

Try OWC - it's in US but delivery is quick and they guarantee it will be compatible. I used that to upgrade two iMac's the SSD and no issues whatsoever.

SSDs (Solid-State Drives) Designed for the MacBook Pro

Comment

Thanks stek - would love the 1 TB but it's $649 - need more double billing

Comment

Look for macidiot compatible SSD. The come cheap. HAHAHAHAHA

Comment

Thanks stek - would love the 1 TB but it's $649 - need more double billing
                Why not find someone with a 512Gb that they want to upgrade to a 1TB and offer some kind of swap that takes their 512 and helps pay towards their 1tb module?

Now that Apple have rowed back from gluing the disks in there will be plenty of choices for modules I would think

Comment

Originally posted by garnet View Post
                  Look for macidiot compatible SSD. The come cheap. HAHAHAHAHA
                  Someone stop this guy, I've only three ribs left!!

Comment

As a temporary solution I am using a 128 GB USB 3 stick which is fast and has increased my memory by 50% - SanDisk SDCZ43-128G-G46 Ultra Fit USB Flash Drive, USB 3.0, 128 GB: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Your best plan would be to sell the Mac and buy a new one with the hard disk space you need. Anything else will cost at least the same and be more hassle
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X