• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Web app development

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Web app development

Any of the Code monkeys on here recommend a relatively easy to use web app builder or a platform for development?

I have a few ideas for web based apps that could help current client out, I know how they would hang together but i'm looking for something to start realising the idea.
    Had a look at some of the offerings google threw up but they all seem to be based on a model where they host the finished app for you. I'd be looking for something i could stick up on aws or host internally.

Any ideas?
    If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. - Red Adair

What technologies/languages are you familiar with - if you have a technical background at all that is (easy to assume on CUK)?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I'm not a coder. I am technical but mostly an infrastructure background. I do have experience with Web CMS systems but nothing majorly in depth.
      I can read code, mostly, but i wouldn't know where to start to build something from the ground up.

I'm essentially looking for a nice front end on a database that users can populate and report on. and ideally it can create workflow items based on triggers of the data held (dates etc).
      If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. - Red Adair

Comment

Is there a coder in your client's offices who could help you out? They would know the operating systems, tools etc used at your client, and most importantly that means if you leave there will be someone to maintain it.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I'm not giving them it for free...

See a need, fill a need and all that.

I'll go and learn how to code it if i have to or get a PPH coder to rattle it together from my spec. I was just interested in if anyone had used a decent WYSIWYG app dev environment or had any alternatives that a technical <all be it not a coder> person could have a go at using.

So probably should have phrased the Q as:

App coding for a non coder: any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            most importantly that means if you leave there will be someone to maintain it.
            Then he has no chance of the possibility of a lucrative, ongoing, maintenance contract

Tell 'em nothing
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluespider View Post
              So probably should have phrased the Q as:

App coding for a non coder: any suggestions?
              http://www.amazon.co.uk/Learn-Progra.../dp/1941222943

http://www.rent-acoder.com/

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                Then he has no chance of the possibility of a lucrative, ongoing, maintenance contract

Tell 'em nothing
                If they work out what language it is in they just find someone who knows the language to reverse engineer it and modify it, even if that person hasn't used the language for a few years.

If you want to make it difficult for them to do that then use a random Javascript library as there is a shortage of good front-end developers...
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

If it's anything remotely complicated then you're going to struggle, nobody has yet managed to solve this problem.

MS for example is launching yet another attempt at solving this problem: Microsoft whips out PowerApps – now your Pointy Haired Boss can write software, too! • The Register

Is it something your CMS background can cope with, i.e. largely static(ish) web pages rather than a bunch of bespoke logic someone needs to code?

Could you team up with a developer perhaps, if you can storyboard/wireframe your ideas well enough to get a sale?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

You'd probably be able to put something together with WordPress and assorted plugins, as it's a lot more than just a blogging platform nowadays. You'd need someone with WordPress and PHP knowledge to do any very extensive customisation of functionality, and someone with front end knowledge to make a customised theme. (In the world of WordPress development, it's pretty likely the same person could fulfil both of those roles.)

Comment

Working...
                    X