• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New PC - what to look for around the £2,000 mark?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    Guys, I appreciate both sides of the coin here but I do want a computer that will last me many years without the need to upgrade components and I want it to be able to run some high end games.

My last PC cost me £1000 and last me 7 years, though needed additional RAM and a new hard disk along the way. Now I do want something better - SSDs, a big monitor (which arrived today, it looks awesome) and components that will still be OK in another 7 years time. Therefore, £2k spent today is only £300 over each of the next 7 years.

Having said that, £1860 is a lot for the computer so I will be cutting some fat off that. At least I got the monitor at £560 rather than £800!
    With RAM so cheap, you may as well put 32GB in now and have it all working inside the warranty period.

Sometimes you upgrade RAM, graphics cards etc and make the PC unstable.

So from experience, get it future proofed up front.

Look at RAM prices!

HyperX FURY Series (2 x 8 GB) DDR3 1866 MHz CL10 DIMM Memory Module Kit - Red: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Comment

CPU is rarely cost-effective to upgrade, I would've said RAM and GPU are the cheapest and easiest to upgrade but a fair point from DP if it's only a fraction of the overall cost. Disks continue to get bigger, faster and cheaper so that's one area you could scrimp... ANY SSD is so unbelievably fast compared to a spinny disk. A budget (ish) GPU that you upgrade is the other obvious cost-saver. It's easy to forget just how ridiculously stupidly fast even a top-end 5-year old GPU is.

Or get one of something you can SLI later?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I don't use PC's for Games (have an Xbox one for that).

I do like four monitors when working, so I tend to go for professional multi-monitor graphics cards like this:

NVIDIA NVS 510 Quad DisplayPort UHD 4K Graphics Card

Ultra HD across four monitors is quite nice when working.

One for notepad, one for solitaire, one for CUK and one for Daily Fail.

Comment

I've got the mount for all those monitors but only two connected. I actually have had them as long as I can recall... nothing too fancy but I think they were a 'treat' when I first started as a contractor, when buying two monitors to replace a perfectly serviceable one seemed like a real luxury!

I do fancy a nice one, maybe mine will break soon

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            I don't use PC's for Games (have an Xbox one for that).

I do like four monitors when working, so I tend to go for professional multi-monitor graphics cards like this:

NVIDIA NVS 510 Quad DisplayPort UHD 4K Graphics Card

Ultra HD across four monitors is quite nice when working.

One for notepad, one for solitaire, one for CUK and one for Daily Fail.
            Or you could go for one of these bad boys
            Philips BDM4065UC/00 UHD 40-Inch Monitor 5000:1 Contrast Ratio (16:9, 3840 x 2160):Amazon.co.uk:Computers & Accessories

Its the equivalent of 4 ultra hd monitors.

Comment

How is 3840x2160 equivalent to 4xUHD? I thought 2160 is 4K UHD?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                How is 3840x2160 equivalent to 4xUHD? I thought 2160 is 4K UHD?
                My mistake, its the equiv of four 1080p monitors (essentially). That will teach me to post whilst on the loo and still asleep.

Comment

If you decide a laptop is the answer, how about a laptop with 64GB of RAM, 18.4 inch HD display and RAID SSD?

9S7-181412-075, MSI GT80 6QF(Titan SLI)-075UK, 94562461 - Save on Laptops

Comment

Nah I've ordered a customized PC from CyberPower... they're just very slow at fulfilling orders so I'm still waiting {yawn}.

My lovely 34" ultra-wide monitor is sitting here looking pretty waiting.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                      Nah I've ordered a customized PC from CyberPower... they're just very slow at fulfilling orders so I'm still waiting {yawn}.

My lovely 34" ultra-wide monitor is sitting here looking pretty waiting.
                      Probably the time of year. I ordered a custom build a couple of years back in December (from Scan) and it was delayed a couple of weeks.

Comment

Working...
                      X