• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New PC - what to look for around the £2,000 mark?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    CyberPowerPC configuration, cost £1860. On this one I have 2 x 500Gb SSD and 2 x 1TB drives, possibly in a RAID setup.

I like this but that's a lot of money!
    Depends what you use it for, if its the tool of your trade and you get 3 years out of the current configuration and then you can upgrade it in the future, then doesn't seem so expensive.

Comment

3 years? My quad-core AMD is 6 years old and only cost £300 or so. I only bought it because my previous one died and I had no time to shop around so just bought the first half-decent inexpensive PC I could see in Currys since it was costing me my hourly rate not having a PC.

I'm amazed how much of a hindrance this slow old thing isn't. Putting an SSD in was a revelation.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

FTFY

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Putting an SSD in, to replace the floppy drives was a revelation.
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

6 years not 16!

Comment

6 years not 16!
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

3 years? My quad-core AMD is 6 years old and only cost £300 or so. I only bought it because my previous one died and I had no time to shop around so just bought the first half-decent inexpensive PC I could see in Currys since it was costing me my hourly rate not having a PC.

I'm amazed how much of a hindrance this slow old thing isn't. Putting an SSD in was a revelation.
              Good for you, nice having a happy little story on a Wednesday.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                Good for you, nice having a happy little story on a Wednesday.
                Good for you, needlessly spending loads of money on a shiny toy.

Comment

Good for you, needlessly spending loads of money on a shiny toy.
                  It's a tool of business. This is not general so let's leave it eh!

Comment

Guys, I appreciate both sides of the coin here but I do want a computer that will last me many years without the need to upgrade components and I want it to be able to run some high end games.

My last PC cost me £1000 and last me 7 years, though needed additional RAM and a new hard disk along the way. Now I do want something better - SSDs, a big monitor (which arrived today, it looks awesome) and components that will still be OK in another 7 years time. Therefore, £2k spent today is only £300 over each of the next 7 years.

Having said that, £1860 is a lot for the computer so I will be cutting some fat off that. At least I got the monitor at £560 rather than £800!

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                      It's a tool of business.
                      On a serious note, "it's for business" is hardly legitimate grounds to go crazy. You should determine what you ideally need, then determine if you can budget for that.

If you need a really beefy PC then it makes sense - as others have mentioned running several VMs is a classic example.

If you just want a top-notch PC "because" then that's fine too, but be honest

Comment

Working...
                      X