• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Potential new contract asked for codility test.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    "Here's my Github user-name, I'm particularly proud of my work on project X, here's some links to my commits?"
    If I was interviewing someone I really CBA'd going through github commits to try to judge their work. That CV would go straight in the bin.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

You probably wouldn't ask them to do a 60 min online coding test either
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

"Here's my Github user-name, I'm particularly proud of my work on project X, here's some links to my commits?"
        True. However, the one I took (not codility), the results are submitted by the agency not me.
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Have a go at some sample tests, see how you do.

https://codility.com/demo/take-sample-test/

And some sample results showing three typical tasks you will have to code and test in the time limit.

https://codility.com/public-report-detail/

Good luck.

Personally, I think it's like asking a builder to build some pointless walls quickly and accurately before you hire them. Most builders I know would laugh in your face or punch your teeth out if you did.
          Last edited by DimPrawn; 16 November 2015, 10:29.

Comment

But we're not builders.

Do we all get the same example test? Mine was a PoP, about 2min needed not 30.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Personally, I think it's like asking a builder to build some pointless walls quickly and accurately before you hire them. Most builders I know would laugh in your face or punch your teeth out if you did.

But if you live in a conservation area, the council planners may ask the builder to build a sample wall before allowing them to proceed with the work - to prove that they have the skills and the proper product to produce acceptable results. Until the sample wall has been approved, work is not allowed to continue.
              [ / voice of experience]
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

But we're not builders.

Do we all get the same example test? Mine was a PoP, about 2min needed not 30.
                if they are too easy, then it defeats the point.
                Although, that having been said, if you are really good, you should find them easy.

The one I have done, benchmarks you against others and gets more difficult and covers more, the more answers you get right.

The test analysis is strong at the end, also.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

What ever happened to buying an MCSD/E from India for £10 to prove your credentials....

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    What ever happened to buying an MCSD/E from India for £10 to prove your credentials....
                    Don't worry, still been widely used g

In fact, the badged CVs, I received, probably cost the owner quite a bit (in Rupees).
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I did one recently that was a 25 minute advanced C++ test. It was a lot of "what's the output when you do this?" type questions.

I quite enjoyed it actually, because no matter how much you think you know something there's always corner cases that you don't see day to day and make you think. At the interview the bloke said he didn't have the results so I'm not sure what the point of that was. Perhaps it was more to make the BS'ers admit they didn't know what they were talking about and back out rather than to measure your ability.
                      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                      X