• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stick or Twist (Android or Iphone)?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stick or Twist (Android or Iphone)?

I had the original iPhone when it came out and loved it. Never upgraded but moved to Android for my last 3-4 phones.

The wife has an iPhone and doesn't care about me trying to persuade her of the benefits of Android and we also have a new Mac at home so now that my phone is knacked and I have to replace, I'm considering falling in line and getting an iPhone again.

Should I bother switching or stick with Android? My last 2 phones have been Sony and I really like them. I know I can still interface with stuff on my Mac, but it's not quite as clean as having them all the same.

Purely personal choice IMO. You'll never convince a die hard Apple fan to convert to Android on tech specs and evidence alone. Just the same reason you wouldn't get me converting to Apple for the same reasons.

Both must be OK operating systems with great points and some bum points. It's not like one works and the other doesn't. Have to look at other factors like the handset and integration in to other stuff. I have Samsung TV's, Surround sound and so on so Apple wouldn't be the best choice etc. If your wife is on Apple and you have Mac's and iPads around the house then I think there is a strong case for Apple there, depending on how much integration you do of course.

Personally the idea of swapping to a phone that costs you 600 quid and you have to pay 50 quid a time for a screen every time your drop it is ludicrous but that's me. The number of people I see with their wonderful Apples but have a cracked screen is staggering. Just.. why??
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I went from a 3G iPhone to a Galaxy S2 then S4 and am now back with a iPhone 6+ once they decided to offer larger screens, couldn't be happier with it, no lag, never crashes and build quality/battery life is great. Am a Mac user so it all integrates together nicely. Wouldn't go back to Android now.

Comment

There's no mileage in the debate any more, impossible to convince anyone to change their spots I find.

That said if you opt for Apple you're a fool.
        I'm a smug bastard.

Comment

Windows phone 10 on the 940XL is the way forwards

Comment

What NLUK said, it's liek the age old debate which one is better BMW or Mercedes, Ferrari or Lamborghini, at the end of the day it mostly comes down to personal preference.

Personally I prefer Apple as the experience is consistent (both the good and the bad sides) and as with all apple products just works. With Android it's a hit and miss, will your handset get the latest update, are the specs be enough to run it smoothly etc.

Comment

I think that since gmail, dropbox etc are platform independent it's purely down to personal preference.

I have a MBP, ipad and iphone. Mrs P has Lenovo lappy, kindle fire and an iphone.

We do use notes synced via gmail acct on the iphones but I'm sure there are other cross platform apps that do the same. Gmail and Dropbox all the way and pick a phone you like.

Comment

I have had only one smart phone, Samsung Android. Must say I am a bit curious about the other side.

The worst thing about Android I have found to be the quality of the apps market. Apps seem to fall into 3 categories:

1. Good/great apps.
                2. Okay apps which would be great if they weren't wrecked with advertising and attempts to monetize/stalk you.
                3. Poor apps written in a bedroom by one guy. Usually awful with poor monetization attempts.

Examples:
                1. C:geo
                2. Myfitnesspal
                3. Alarm clock Xtreme.

Comment

I would say wait for SurfacePhone, its the most eagerly anticipated smartphone ever. Together with SurfaceBook ( which has blown away the Macbook by a few miles ), it has to be the best competition to Apple in many years.
                  Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
                    I have had only one smart phone, Samsung Android. Must say I am a bit curious about the other side.

The worst thing about Android I have found to be the quality of the apps market. Apps seem to fall into 3 categories:

1. Good/great apps.
                    2. Okay apps which would be great if they weren't wrecked with advertising and attempts to monetize/stalk you.
                    3. Poor apps written in a bedroom by one guy. Usually awful with poor monetization attempts.
                    Who cares about apps? As said once you have GMail and a browser that's most of what you're going to need. I have a couple of other things, but nothing I use a lot.

Having recently had it explained to me how to go about submitting an App to Apple I'm amazed they have any apps in their app store.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X