• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

laptop for student

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

laptop for student

Hi,

Looking to get a laptop for my daughter for uni and have whittled it down to these two:

Buy Acer ES1-311, 13.3", Laptop, Intel Celeron, 4GB RAM, 1TB - Black from our Windows 7 or 8 Laptops range - Tesco

Acer Aspire ES1-311, NX.MRTEK.018

Initially I was erring towards the quad core model albeit 2Gig ram, but that was comparing it to a Lenovo (same cpu and ram as Tesco Acer but 500gig drive) and was because it was listed as lighter and longer battery life. In this comparison weight and battery are the same.

So which one?

ta,
    Tony

My experience of Acer is they are cheap for a reason. They tend to be broken soon after purchasing. I would never buy an Acer, even if the budget is tight. Very flimsy.

Also, those cheap screens have terrible contrast, very hard on the eyes, not nice to work with. Why such a poverty budget? Three years of hard use, spend a bit more. Are you from Yorkshire?

Comment

Hmm, interesting comments.

Comment

Never been a fan of celeron, so of the two I would go for the Quad and buy some more RAM for it
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          Never been a fan of celeron, so of the two I would go for the Quad and buy some more RAM for it
          Cheers SM

Yep, that's the way I was erring when comparing with the Lenovo, but my premise then was the ram can be upgraded but I'd be stuck with the weight and battery life (not sure whether to believe to claims).

So really I'm asking Celeron dual core 4GB ram vs Pentium quad core 2GB ram (which can be upgraded)

Comment

Celeron's are budget processors which is why the laptop is cheaper.

As already said don't get an Acer as they are tulip. You will have to buy a new laptop within 18 months.

Also ask your daughter what kind of laptop she would like as she's the one using it. Some people regardless of age want a certain screen size etc.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Apple MacBook Air, basic model, 11" screen, superb, no idea what cpu or mem it has, can't remember, had it 4 years, I had it for a bit, passed to Lad at uni, passed on since to Lass at uni, light as fook no different than a tablet, razor thin, solid, buy one.

Comment

If it's a student laptop used for Word and web, 4Gb RAM is plenty and you don't need anything special in the CPU. If they are using it for more serious things - say doing a CS course or graphic design - that changes everything though.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

As already said don't get an Acer as they are tulip. You will have to buy a new laptop within 18 months.

Yep, with all the stress of coursework etc on a dead laptop halfway through your degree, all to save a few hundred quid.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    If it's a student laptop used for Word and web, 4Gb RAM is plenty and you don't need anything special in the CPU. If they are using it for more serious things - say doing a CS course or graphic design - that changes everything though.
                    Exactly my thinking on the spec, she's doing History so I reckon the spec will be fine.

I'm seeing not much love for Acer, although my experience has been ok with the brand.

Comment

Working...
                    X