• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Retrogaming

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unixman View Post
    Wish I had kept a few of the old mags, just for chuckles. My dad and I had loads lying around.
    Some great games on the cover tapes. Better than some of the tulip I coughed up my pocket money for.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Looking at those magazine archives makes me want to read the old magazines again.

Makes you recall the pleasure of opening a new issue.

Comment

Originally posted by MicrosoftBob View Post
        Unbreakable, but is it cat proof ?
        Mine is toddler proof, but I got the one without the trackball.
        And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
          Wish I had kept a few of the old mags, just for chuckles. My dad and I had loads lying around.
          I've got a fair few copies of PCW back to the late 1970s (I think issue 3 from 1978 is the earliest - review of the brand new TRS-80 in it) and of Byte from the early 80s on, along with some Your Computer, some BBC Micro User and Acorn User, and assorted other odds and sods from the 80s; and a number of copies of things like DDJ, Exe, and Software Development from the mid 90s to early 00s.

Also got quite a few of PC Pro from the mid 90s to early 00s, but I'm thinking of getting rid of those - they're extremely bulky, and almost all there is in there is just reviews of a parade of PC clones and articles on migrating to Exchange Server or suchlike gubbins. The programming columns often had some good algorithmic stuff in them, but I can't really justify the storage space for three pages out of a 500 page magazine which don't contain anything I couldn't find in ten seconds with Google. And most of those 500 pages are just adverts for said clones.

Comment

What you really need is one of these!

Picade Console - Pimoroni

Or...

Picade - Pimoroni

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
              What you really need is one of these!

Picade Console - Pimoroni

Or...

Picade - Pimoroni
              Being a contractor with cash

Clarkcade
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Comment

God.

I could ramble on about this for hours, so I'll keep it short:

- C64! SID chip still sounds awesome today (check out Nectarine Demoscene radio for some "bangin' choons".)
                  - Amiga - absolutely legendary machine. Multitasking was fantastic enough, but Gunship 2000 on an AGA A1200 blew my nuts off.
                  - Acorn Archimedes - had a fantastic port of Lemmings and Lander (precursor to Virus?) was stunning at the time. The platform never really picked up enough steam to keep going though - damned shame.

If you're more of an arcade dweller, then you'll want to at least swivel your eyeballs at these guys. The Heart Of Gaming

Comment

Working...
                  X