• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Transferring website away from Vistaprint

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transferring website away from Vistaprint

Not me but a friend has asked. They're currently paying £24 a month for Vistaprint to host it which seems a bit steep.

Anyway they're a bit concerned about losing the domain but thats not going to be an issue since its registered to the person.

Pretty sure they're going to be scuppered with the content though because sure they did the website themselves using Vistaprints tools etc so, obviously, its not going to be transferable.

Anyone know for sure? If so, any recommendations where to move it to?

I used domainmonster for my wifes business a while ago but it was only basic hosting. And the website is crap.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Your mate can't use Google?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

1. Do they have the website backed up locally?
      2. Can they get the website backed up locally?

3. Was their website built with a Vistaprint site builder tool?
      4. Is it a business website or just a personal one?
      5. Does their site have their own graphics, or generic ones supplied by Vistaprint?

If the answers are:
      1 or 2: Yes and 4: Personal
      Then solution is: go to a new host and upload the site. It might work with no tweaks. If it doesn't work at all, then they'll need to redesign their site.
      If 3 is yes, then it depends how chronic the VP sitebuilder is. Generally these things are pretty weak and they copy all the code to the individual sites.
      If 5 is generic graphics, then those might get lost in the transfer, but that should not be a deciding factor.

If both 1 and 2 are no, then they are stuffed.

I use 1and1 as my host of choice, although I know several people who have had problems with them.

(if no web developers come along with good answers, PM me and I might be able to help)
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        1. Do they have the website backed up locally?
        2. Can they get the website backed up locally?

3. Was their website built with a Vistaprint site builder tool?
        4. Is it a business website or just a personal one?
        5. Does their site have their own graphics, or generic ones supplied by Vistaprint?

If the answers are:
        1 or 2: Yes and 4: Personal
        Then solution is: go to a new host and upload the site. It might work with no tweaks. If it doesn't work at all, then they'll need to redesign their site.
        If 3 is yes, then it depends how chronic the VP sitebuilder is. Generally these things are pretty weak and they copy all the code to the individual sites.
        If 5 is generic graphics, then those might get lost in the transfer, but that should not be a deciding factor.

If both 1 and 2 are no, then they are stuffed.

I use 1and1 as my host of choice, although I know several people who have had problems with them.

(if no web developers come along with good answers, PM me and I might be able to help)
        Cheers WTFH.

Business site. Not sure if it can be backed up. Own graphics used and pretty sure they used the VP sitebuilder.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Your mate can't use Google?
          NLUK - you appear to omnipotent on these forums matey

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            NLUK - you appear to omnipotent on these forums matey
            Well I'm kinda guessing this isn't the first time anyone has wondered this and Google tends to agree.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If they're not that technical but want a web presence, a Joomla site is probably the way forward:

https://www.joomlawired.com/

They do them for as little as £25 a year - have a chat with them about transferring domain name, which should be simple enough, then look at building a quick site from scratch, depending upon how complex it is.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

OK, simple questions:
                Do they have a username and password for them to access their site?
                Do they have an ftp address, or know an ftp enabled IP address at Vistaprint?
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Pretty obvious if your mate has even a modicum of techiness but make sure he saves site pages before he loses the account. Good as reference when he rebuilds it.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

But a Pi2 for £25 and never pay for a web presence again. Design the site yourself, or download a free one, or even pay a web design company to do it (telling them you will be self hosting and they will have to hand the whole thing over).

Comment

Working...
                    X