• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where to buy previous generation Mac Mini?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    People might like to know that the new Mac Mini is no longer user upgradable. So buying a cheaper model and then swapping out the HDD and RAM is no longer an option, so I've been reading.
    I'd wait for a proper tear-down before jumping to any rash decision. It's been suggested the RAM is only soldered on the cheaper model and I haven't seen this refuted or corroborated yet. Similarly, soldering the RAM doesn't mean you can't add a 2nd disk or replace the existing one.

Wait for iFixit (or monitor The Register for reviews).
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Have the Mini, now debating upgrades. If budget were no issue I would simply buy 16Gb RAM and a 512Gb SSD which would mean the built-in 1Tb spinny disk was virtually unneeded. But I can't decide if that's really justified and I should go 256Gb instead.

Thinking of buying an internal disk and an external enclosure/USB3 adapter in case I decide to mount it internally later.

But considering a 512Gb disk is virtually 2X the price of a 256Gb, I could just buy two smaller ones - or one smaller one now and a second if I need it; or more likely by that time a 512Gb will cost the same as a 256Gb now anyway.

Any suggestions? For general dev work and maybe using Parallels is 8Gb adequate or is 16 really worth the extra?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Have the Mini, now debating upgrades. If budget were no issue I would simply buy 16Gb RAM and a 512Gb SSD which would mean the built-in 1Tb spinny disk was virtually unneeded. But I can't decide if that's really justified and I should go 256Gb instead.

Thinking of buying an internal disk and an external enclosure/USB3 adapter in case I decide to mount it internally later.

But considering a 512Gb disk is virtually 2X the price of a 256Gb, I could just buy two smaller ones - or one smaller one now and a second if I need it; or more likely by that time a 512Gb will cost the same as a 256Gb now anyway.

Any suggestions? For general dev work and maybe using Parallels is 8Gb adequate or is 16 really worth the extra?
        8 with an SSD is fine that's what my macbook pro is...
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          8 with an SSD is fine that's what my macbook pro is...
          Because virtual-RAM/swap-file is so much faster on SSD?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Because virtual-RAM/swap-file is so much faster on SSD?
            probably I didn't think about it that much...
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
            X