• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where to buy previous generation Mac Mini?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to buy previous generation Mac Mini?

I've been waiting/hoping for Apple to release a new Mac Mini with upgraded spec for the same money, and now they have. But, they now don't offer a quad-core option AT ALL which was rather the thing I was after as a desktop replacement (they also killed Mac Mini Server edition).

You can immediately no longer buy the old models online; am I right to think the same is true in store? If so what do Apple do with all the stock they were selling yesterday and where can I buy one - is there scope for a good deal?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

certified refurb
    Refurbished Mac mini 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 - Apple Store (UK)

Comment

Cheers, never saw that in the store before. Supply seems very limited though (if there was a quad-core one when you posted, there isn't now - people rushing to snap them up like me?) What happens to all the brand new ones available on the website until yesterday; do they offload them to 3rd-party sellers?

I also need to wait on a review to see about the upgradability. The previous generation not only had user-serviceable RAM but (rather surprisingly) had room to add a 2nd hard disk. When I looked at this before it was significantly cheaper to buy a low-spec model and a separate SSD plus some more RAM... in fact on CUK someone pointed me at a site who do this for you.

edit:
      Originally posted by Sysman View Post
      This looks like the company concerned. Pick the Mac mini section, if you already have one feed in the serial number, and off you go.

Mac Upgrades - Macintosh Upgrades in the UK
      Last edited by d000hg; 17 October 2014, 07:43.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Cheers, never saw that in the store before. Supply seems very limited though (if there was a quad-core one when you posted, there isn't now - people rushing to snap them up like me?) What happens to all the brand new ones available on the website until yesterday; do they offload them to 3rd-party sellers?

I also need to wait on a review to see about the upgradability. The previous generation not only had user-serviceable RAM but (rather surprisingly) had room to add a 2nd hard disk. When I looked at this before it was significantly cheaper to buy a low-spec model and a separate SSD plus some more RAM... in fact on CUK someone pointed me at a site who do this for you.

edit:
        It looks very much available to me. I've added one to basket !

Comment

Refurbished Mac mini 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
          £479.00
          Dispatched: Out of stock
          Free Delivery
          In fact now they list no refurbished Mac Minis at all - when I looked a few minutes ago they had an i5 version.

I think Apple is playing silly buggers, or people are snapping them up. £479 is a total bargain, I wish I could've got one

Comment

In fact now they list no refurbished Mac Minis at all - when I looked a few minutes ago they had an i5 version.

I think Apple is playing silly buggers, or people are snapping them up. £479 is a total bargain, I wish I could've got one
            I would keep an eye on the refurb page - I've bought a couple of MBPs, ipad mini and a couple of ipod touches. you just have to get luck and drop on

Comment

Well, I've taken the plunge and got my mate at the Apple Store to buy a low-end quad-core i7 with staff discount. Then I'll whack some 3rd-party RAM in and maybe a SSD as a 2nd drive, or replace the drive entirely with a large SSD/Hybrid, depending on what works out most cost effective given that I don't need loads of storage (the 500Gb disk in my 5-year old desktop is still only half-full).

Then to decide if I want to use Bootcamp or Parallels to run Windows, which is my primary OS - and whether to stick with W7 or update to 8.1 at the same time. No idea where a VM fits in the "files on SSD?" discussions... is your whole VM one large file?

I hate mucking about with these things, but I'm committed now

Comment

Then to decide if I want to use Bootcamp or Parallels to run Windows, which is my primary OS - and whether to stick with W7 or update to 8.1 at the same time. No idea where a VM fits in the "files on SSD?" discussions... is your whole VM one large file?

I hate mucking about with these things, but I'm committed now
                The VM is a folder containing several files but it has the "package" flag set so it appears as one file, can be moved around as if it were one file, and so forth. The reason there are several files lurking within is that there are various configuration files and application logs, as well as the humongous file containing the HDD image. In practice, you can regard it as one file.

As far as performance goes: when I got my SSD-based MacBook Air I copied across an existing XP VM from my old MacBook and fired it up. I was absolutely stunned by the speed at which it started up, and ran. I daresay it would be even faster using BootCamp to dual-boot, and if Windows is your main use for the machine then it's probably worth using that; but, if you're planning on getting Parallels anyway or can find a time-limited trial version, it may be worth trying it for a week or so and seeing if it meets your needs. Turn off the stuff like Coherence (which makes Windows apps run in their own individual Mac windows, rather than the whole VM running in just one) and go full-screen on Windows, for best performance. If you decide to move to Bootcamp, it'll be easy enough to copy your files from the VM - or you can set the VM up to keep your Windows files in a Mac folder, the easier to move them to the Bootcamp Windows later.

Comment

Both VMware fusion and parallels run like crap on my fusion drive iMac under Yosemite, SSD only rMBP flies though...

Comment

People might like to know that the new Mac Mini is no longer user upgradable. So buying a cheaper model and then swapping out the HDD and RAM is no longer an option, so I've been reading.

Comment

Working...
                    X