• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Excel - plot for multiple values of x

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excel - plot for multiple values of x

Is it possible? Possible to plot from a single formula calculated multiple times over for where x-0.....6 for example?

Really want to avoid going into matlab, which seems overkill.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Is it possible? Possible to plot from a single formula calculated multiple times over for where x-0.....6 for example?

Really want to avoid going into matlab, which seems overkill.
    Yep. Start reading up on Array Formulas...
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      Yep. Start reading up on Array Formulas...
      Oh no, not those. It's a valid point right enough, but you have to trigger them every time you wish to calculate if I remember.. but that might not be a bad thing. Thanks.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

May have mis-read but can't you add a column with the input values you want to use, and another with the formula values for those inputs, and feed that into a graph?

Not very elegant but wouldn't it do the job?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          May have mis-read but can't you add a column with the input values you want to use, and another with the formula values for those inputs, and feed that into a graph?

Not very elegant but wouldn't it do the job?
          Not when the formula has 20+ coefficients, too much scope for human error at that point. Also I'd like to test for different coefficients, not always the same one. Matlab is good for this but is overkill and expensive to maintain.

Comment

Can you give us an example?

Comment

When excel fails me I turn to Grapher. The amount of times this little app has saved my bacon. In this example Sc is calculated 50 times over for sequential values of x.

Comment

If you need to do these sort of things regularly, consider R (Matlab is fine too, as is the open-source version, Octave, but R is extremely powerful and has a massive user community). It will take you a while to learn, but it's almost never "overkill" vs something like Excel, because you could do this in a couple of lines of script, rather than faffing with cells and formulas in Excel.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                  If you need to do these sort of things regularly, consider R (Matlab is fine too, as is the open-source version, Octave, but R is extremely powerful and has a massive user community). It will take you a while to learn, but it's almost never "overkill" vs something like Excel, because you could do this in a couple of lines of script, rather than faffing with cells and formulas in Excel.
                  I never expected to get a hit googling 'R'!

I'm guessing you mean: The R Project for Statistical Computing

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    I never expected to get a hit googling 'R'!

I'm guessing you mean: The R Project for Statistical Computing
                    Sorry Yes, exactly. It takes a while to learn, since it's all script-based, but it's incredibly powerful and widely used, with an excellent user/support community. It's pretty much the standard for statistical computing (the proprietary equivalent of the R language is S-plus in case that rings any bells..).

Comment

Working...
                    X