• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Backup memory cards without a computer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    What do you shoot with? I am lucky my Nikon has two SD card slots, worse case take two cards and swap one each day so if one goes corrupt or is lost you only lose half your photos
    I guess the goal is not to lose any photos. And not waste valuable time finding similar images from the internet and pass them off as his own

Here is a large list of devices, even if they don't ship to UK you can at least get some make/models of it and look locally:

Memory Card Back-up Devices | B&H Photo Video

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
      I guess the goal is not to lose any photos. And not waste valuable time finding similar images from the internet and pass them off as his own

Here is a large list of devices, even if they don't ship to UK you can at least get some make/models of it and look locally:

Memory Card Back-up Devices | B&H Photo Video
      I think they do.

Comment

Some thing like this?

Mini Full HD 1080P HDMI Multi Media Player TV Box USB HDD MKV FLAC USB MP3 NE | eBay

Just add an external hard drive, plug in the SD card, push the button to copy. As it's about £15, it doesn't matter if it gets thrown, so long as it does for the holidays. Says UK based, so delivery should be OK. I've used something similar in the past, good for the price, but not the best.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          What do you shoot with? I am lucky my Nikon has two SD card slots, worse case take two cards and swap one each day so if one goes corrupt or is lost you only lose half your photos
          Canon EOS 350 and a Powershot G9

I'll have a handful of cards for each, so could be OK.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

In the end, I bought one of these.

Has native SD card reader (probably SDXC but I didn't try an XC card), and I bought a USB compact flash reader to backup the CF cards.

It also serves as a WiFi hotspot to read the files back off, and so can be used as a media streamer to a few devices as well, so when we go away I'll stick some music and movies on there to play back to tablets etc.

They sell a few variants of different sized drives, or without a drive and you put your own drive in. For the price difference it wasn't worth it to put my own drive in, though.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
            X