• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Backup memory cards without a computer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backup memory cards without a computer

I'm off on holiday soon and will be taking lots of photos while I'm away - either on a CF card or SDHC or SDXC depending on the camera I'm using.

Just in case anything happens to the memory cards, I'd like to take a backup of the photos while I'm away, but don't want to take a laptop with me.

I'm looking for some kind of portable hard drive that I can just plug the cards into and hit a button and it backs them up automagically. I'd also like to be able to use the drive as a normal drive at some stage, otherwise it will just sit in a box unused the majority of the time. Can't imagine I'd need more than 100GB at a time, but need some way to get the photos from the cards onto the drive.

Anyone know of anything that would do the job??
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Should have said I won't have any wifi access (or I doubt I will), so can't do any cloud upload stuff either.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

There are devices to do that but they're not cheap, if you search on Amazon for "memory card backup" then a few show up. It's not much more to buy an eeepc however which is my method.

Comment

Digital Foci PST-251 Photo Safe II 500GB Digital Picture Storage - P19-500 NEW | eBay
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Cheaper to buy a 10" notebook?

Comment

Tablet with OTG cable

I did similar recently - I took a usb memory key, nexus 7 tablet and a usb otg cable - allowed me to copy files from sd card to nexus and then back to usb key (also having the nexus 7 backup to cloud)

Comment

Originally posted by RSoles View Post
              Cheaper to buy a 10" notebook?
              Originally posted by madhippy View Post
              I did similar recently - I took a usb memory key, nexus 7 tablet and a usb otg cable - allowed me to copy files from sd card to nexus and then back to usb key (also having the nexus 7 backup to cloud)
              Problem is tablets tap out at about 128gb max, dunno if anyone else shoots in RAW but on a two week holiday I can more than fill up 128gb, yes a tablet could do an OK job, why would you use anything other than a tool specifically designed for the task in hand

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                Problem is tablets tap out at about 128gb max, dunno if anyone else shoots in RAW but on a two week holiday I can more than fill up 128gb, yes a tablet could do an OK job, why would you use anything other than a tool specifically designed for the task in hand
                That's part of my concern - my Nexus 10 has a theoretical max of 32GB. That's OK to copy from the 8GB memory cards that my wife's camera uses, but not so good for the 64Gb SDXC cards that I have for my camera.

I don't want to take a netbook, or an EEEPC or even a tablet to be honest - all I really want is something small, quick and easy to backup the cards at the end of each day, just in case anything happens to them.

I think that at the end of the day, I'll probably just take my chances and hope that nothing bad happens to the cards - if it does, then I'll just find similar images from the internet and pass them off as my own
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Have you seen this:

HyperDrive ColorSpace UDMA2

not sure if they deliver to UK and it's not the cheapest solution but it seems elegant and exactly what you are looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    That's part of my concern - my Nexus 10 has a theoretical max of 32GB. That's OK to copy from the 8GB memory cards that my wife's camera uses, but not so good for the 64Gb SDXC cards that I have for my camera.

I don't want to take a netbook, or an EEEPC or even a tablet to be honest - all I really want is something small, quick and easy to backup the cards at the end of each day, just in case anything happens to them.

I think that at the end of the day, I'll probably just take my chances and hope that nothing bad happens to the cards - if it does, then I'll just find similar images from the internet and pass them off as my own
                    What do you shoot with? I am lucky my Nikon has two SD card slots, worse case take two cards and swap one each day so if one goes corrupt or is lost you only lose half your photos

Comment

Working...
                    X