• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Backup memory cards without a computer"

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    In the end, I bought one of these.

Has native SD card reader (probably SDXC but I didn't try an XC card), and I bought a USB compact flash reader to backup the CF cards.

It also serves as a WiFi hotspot to read the files back off, and so can be used as a media streamer to a few devices as well, so when we go away I'll stick some music and movies on there to play back to tablets etc.

They sell a few variants of different sized drives, or without a drive and you put your own drive in. For the price difference it wasn't worth it to put my own drive in, though.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    What do you shoot with? I am lucky my Nikon has two SD card slots, worse case take two cards and swap one each day so if one goes corrupt or is lost you only lose half your photos
    Canon EOS 350 and a Powershot G9

I'll have a handful of cards for each, so could be OK.

Leave a comment:

• anonymouse
    replied
    Some thing like this?

Mini Full HD 1080P HDMI Multi Media Player TV Box USB HDD MKV FLAC USB MP3 NE | eBay

Just add an external hard drive, plug in the SD card, push the button to copy. As it's about £15, it doesn't matter if it gets thrown, so long as it does for the holidays. Says UK based, so delivery should be OK. I've used something similar in the past, good for the price, but not the best.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    I guess the goal is not to lose any photos. And not waste valuable time finding similar images from the internet and pass them off as his own

Here is a large list of devices, even if they don't ship to UK you can at least get some make/models of it and look locally:

Memory Card Back-up Devices | B&H Photo Video
    I think they do.

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    What do you shoot with? I am lucky my Nikon has two SD card slots, worse case take two cards and swap one each day so if one goes corrupt or is lost you only lose half your photos
    I guess the goal is not to lose any photos. And not waste valuable time finding similar images from the internet and pass them off as his own

Here is a large list of devices, even if they don't ship to UK you can at least get some make/models of it and look locally:

Memory Card Back-up Devices | B&H Photo Video

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    That's part of my concern - my Nexus 10 has a theoretical max of 32GB. That's OK to copy from the 8GB memory cards that my wife's camera uses, but not so good for the 64Gb SDXC cards that I have for my camera.

I don't want to take a netbook, or an EEEPC or even a tablet to be honest - all I really want is something small, quick and easy to backup the cards at the end of each day, just in case anything happens to them.

I think that at the end of the day, I'll probably just take my chances and hope that nothing bad happens to the cards - if it does, then I'll just find similar images from the internet and pass them off as my own

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Have you seen this:

HyperDrive ColorSpace UDMA2

not sure if they deliver to UK and it's not the cheapest solution but it seems elegant and exactly what you are looking for.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Problem is tablets tap out at about 128gb max, dunno if anyone else shoots in RAW but on a two week holiday I can more than fill up 128gb, yes a tablet could do an OK job, why would you use anything other than a tool specifically designed for the task in hand
    That's part of my concern - my Nexus 10 has a theoretical max of 32GB. That's OK to copy from the 8GB memory cards that my wife's camera uses, but not so good for the 64Gb SDXC cards that I have for my camera.

I don't want to take a netbook, or an EEEPC or even a tablet to be honest - all I really want is something small, quick and easy to backup the cards at the end of each day, just in case anything happens to them.

I think that at the end of the day, I'll probably just take my chances and hope that nothing bad happens to the cards - if it does, then I'll just find similar images from the internet and pass them off as my own

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by RSoles View Post
    Cheaper to buy a 10" notebook?
    Originally posted by madhippy View Post
    I did similar recently - I took a usb memory key, nexus 7 tablet and a usb otg cable - allowed me to copy files from sd card to nexus and then back to usb key (also having the nexus 7 backup to cloud)
    Problem is tablets tap out at about 128gb max, dunno if anyone else shoots in RAW but on a two week holiday I can more than fill up 128gb, yes a tablet could do an OK job, why would you use anything other than a tool specifically designed for the task in hand

Leave a comment:

• madhippy
    replied
    Tablet with OTG cable

I did similar recently - I took a usb memory key, nexus 7 tablet and a usb otg cable - allowed me to copy files from sd card to nexus and then back to usb key (also having the nexus 7 backup to cloud)

Leave a comment:

• RSoles
    replied
    Cheaper to buy a 10" notebook?

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Digital Foci PST-251 Photo Safe II 500GB Digital Picture Storage - P19-500 NEW | eBay

Leave a comment:

• smatty
    replied
    There are devices to do that but they're not cheap, if you search on Amazon for "memory card backup" then a few show up. It's not much more to buy an eeepc however which is my method.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Should have said I won't have any wifi access (or I doubt I will), so can't do any cloud upload stuff either.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    started a topic Backup memory cards without a computer

Backup memory cards without a computer

I'm off on holiday soon and will be taking lots of photos while I'm away - either on a CF card or SDHC or SDXC depending on the camera I'm using.

Just in case anything happens to the memory cards, I'd like to take a backup of the photos while I'm away, but don't want to take a laptop with me.

I'm looking for some kind of portable hard drive that I can just plug the cards into and hit a button and it backs them up automagically. I'd also like to be able to use the drive as a normal drive at some stage, otherwise it will just sit in a box unused the majority of the time. Can't imagine I'd need more than 100GB at a time, but need some way to get the photos from the cards onto the drive.

Anyone know of anything that would do the job??

Working...
X