• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Email address to report dodgy umbrella schemes"

Collapse

• TykeMerc
    replied
    To be fair no matter when you started using a scheme, you must have considered that there was/is an element of risk that HMRC would not only shut it down, but do their damnedest to find fault with the approach.

You would have to be astoundingly naive to have believed that you were untouchable when paying so little tax on a large income.

While I object deeply to the retrospective alterations of badly worded tax law, I have limited sympathy for people that used multiple schemes and absolutely none for anyone stupid enough to sign up for one in the last 7 or so years.

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by jbryce View Post
    still not funny......

On a cheerier note - one scheme offered me a £1,500 incentive to join last week. They're getting desperate, they're dying.

Whatever you may think about the Finance Bill 2014 - it has destroyed contractor avoidance schemes. They're totally starved of oxygen.

I think I might laugh at anyone joining one now though......
    £1500 That really is desperation!!

Leave a comment:

• jbryce
    replied
    yeah.....

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    No, of course it isn't. However, when faced with 9 years of people saying they are a very bad idea...
    still not funny......

On a cheerier note - one scheme offered me a £1,500 incentive to join last week. They're getting desperate, they're dying.

Whatever you may think about the Finance Bill 2014 - it has destroyed contractor avoidance schemes. They're totally starved of oxygen.

I think I might laugh at anyone joining one now though......

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    it's really, really, really not that funny.........
    No, of course it isn't. However, when faced with 9 years of people saying they are a very bad idea...

Leave a comment:

• jbryce
    replied
    Schadenfreude

Originally posted by cojak View Post
    We've been pointing and laughing for years.
    it's really, really, really not that funny.........

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    We've been pointing and laughing for years.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post1549849

Leave a comment:

• jbryce
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Don't forget he asked for a really condescending post so I gave him one.
    Fair point

It might be that I'm incredibly cynical
    Cynical maybe, but at least you aren't getting kicked across the park by HMRC.

Seriously though - people are getting out of the schemes. Everyone knows someone being impacted by this. If this all stops at DOTAS, and kills all the schemes off as a side product - great. Worse case there will be another round of contractors hit by the next wave - and I'd really not wish this on them.

Let HMRC do some proactive work.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    a tad unfair.....some, many, where recommended this, by their accountant, as a pain free alternative to IR35. I'm a fantastic techie and, was, naive as to the vagaries of tax etc. I trusted my accountant, he trusted the law.

I guess the lesson here is that if you choose to be a contractor you need to be good at your profession, have your eyes wide open and also accept that the executive will alter the rules. It's not personal. We're an easy target.

F*** - it's been a painful lesson.
    Don't forget he asked for a really condescending post so I gave him one.

The thing is that I've always been far more comfortable with IR35 than trusting a "tax expert" and their dodgy scheme. It might be that I'm incredibly cynical or it may be that I dealt with Tax Accountants during my year off before uni but I really don't trust people playing intellectual games with my money.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    F*** - it's going to be a painful lesson.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I thought this was a professional forum so comments would have been moderated. But since the gloves are off....

HMRC have proved themselves incompetent liars who have way way too many powers. Anyone who helps them might as well be helping the Nazis. You are effectively helping to send people to their death - certainly in my case reporting the scheme would have done no good atall and probably made things worse.

If you have an energy trying to make things better then spend it elsewhere. Plenty of charities could do with your help.

As for me, I am now totally f**ked and its just a case of waiting for the end game to play out.

Leave a comment:

• jbryce
    replied
    ouch

So what brought your attention to the pain that these schemes cause people. Gross stupidity or outright greed
    a tad unfair.....some, many, where recommended this, by their accountant, as a pain free alternative to IR35. I'm a fantastic techie and, was, naive as to the vagaries of tax etc. I trusted my accountant, he trusted the law.

I guess the lesson here is that if you choose to be a contractor you need to be good at your profession, have your eyes wide open and also accept that the executive will alter the rules. It's not personal. We're an easy target.

F*** - it's been a painful lesson.

Leave a comment:

• TheDandy
    replied
    So what brought your attention to the pain that these schemes cause people. Gross stupidity or outright greed
    A brown envelope on the doormat.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
    It's been a while since you posted a really condescending post.
    I was starting to be worried...

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
    You're a late comer to the party - we've been at this since 2005...

Leave a comment:

• DotasScandal
    replied
    In my case, to save the idiots who join these schemes from themselves...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X