• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Seeking A Good Umbrella Company"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by hitman126 View Post
    Hi Lucy,

I note that a number of contributors on here have spoken very highly of your in-depth knowledge and
    expertise on this subject matter. If it's therefore okay, I'll drop you a PM to discuss my situation further
    please.

Thank you.
    Pick up the phone. Much easier to do business. 01473 845835

Leave a comment:

• hitman126
    replied
    Originally posted by lucyclarityumbrella View Post
    Every umbrella should be netting you the same take home pay, so if you want to get the best value for money pick up the phone and make sure you get the right feeling from the company you want to engage with, make sure they can explain it all and at it present it seems, see how quickly they respond to you
    Hi Lucy,

I note that a number of contributors on here have spoken very highly of your in-depth knowledge and
    expertise on this subject matter. If it's therefore okay, I'll drop you a PM to discuss my situation further
    please.

Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• hitman126
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    As NLUK has said, send a PM to Lucy (further up the thread). She's provided illustrations in the past on here and explained what the only differences should be - just the fees. Also, based on when I used an umbrella when starting out, it's cheaper to go on one monthly pay run rather than weekly processing. Not sure if that's the case with Lucy's team but I'm sure she'll cover that off for you.
    Thanks @LondonManc. Will hook up with Lucy for some assistance.

Leave a comment:

• hitman126
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Best value is Lucy at Clarity. I've been with her and had no problems at all. No idea how the charges compare but looking at the problems people are having with the big sausage factories then it's worth every penny. Can easily make the difference and much more up with the pension offering Clarity has allowing unlimited payments. No brainer IMO.
    Thanks buddy. Will contact Lucy asap. Much appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Thanks for the feedback @Paralytic. Yes, for "value for money", I was actually referring to those two key points, i.e. lowest possible fee, coupled with the most take-home pay.
    That doesn't constitute good value to me. The crappy service you'll get in the meantime will cause you more angst than the few pounds you save. That sounds more like cheapest and you know what comes with that.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Hmmm, not sure I'm familiar with any umbrella bonus schemes either @ladymuck.
    As NLUK has said, send a PM to Lucy (further up the thread). She's provided illustrations in the past on here and explained what the only differences should be - just the fees. Also, based on when I used an umbrella when starting out, it's cheaper to go on one monthly pay run rather than weekly processing. Not sure if that's the case with Lucy's team but I'm sure she'll cover that off for you.

Leave a comment:

• hitman126
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Also worth asking if they do something odd with bonuses (that I have to say I don't understand in the slightest) as these arrangements seem to be causing some problem with CJRS (just thinking ahead in case your contract gets cancelled).
    Hmmm, not sure I'm familiar with any umbrella bonus schemes either @ladymuck.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Also worth asking if they do something odd with bonuses (that I have to say I don't understand in the slightest) as these arrangements seem to be causing some problem with CJRS (just thinking ahead in case your contract gets cancelled).

Leave a comment:

• hitman126
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Firstly ignore any that don't work on a flat fee basis.

Then the quick test is to ask for an illustrative payslip, based on your actual numbers and tax code.
    They should all come out with a few pounds of each other.

More than a few won't oblige, so cancel them. More than a few will offer something unrealistic, so ignore them. One or two will offer something that is both accurate and easily understood.

That's your short list.
    Thanks @Malvolio. I think you're very much spot-on. I received an illustrative payslip from one company which frankly looked so inflated. Even more concerning for me was the fact that the illustration was
    based on some arbitrary figure and not my actual daily rate which I'd provided.

Leave a comment:

• hitman126
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
    Can you choose from the whole market or does your agency/client have a preferred supplier list you must choose from?

And, what do you mean "value for money"?

If you mean the cheapest weekly fee, there's only a few £s between them, so chose the one that has the services, options (eg, salary sacrifice, perks etc) that work for you.

If you mean which one will give you the most take-home pay, they should all be the same (or within rounding errors of each other). Any that looks too good to be true is and will likely leave you with HMRC coming after you in few years.
    Thanks for the feedback @Paralytic. Yes, for "value for money", I was actually referring to those two key points, i.e. lowest possible fee, coupled with the most take-home pay.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Best value is Lucy at Clarity. I've been with her and had no problems at all. No idea how the charges compare but looking at the problems people are having with the big sausage factories then it's worth every penny. Can easily make the difference and much more up with the pension offering Clarity has allowing unlimited payments. No brainer IMO.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Firstly ignore any that don't work on a flat fee basis.

Then the quick test is to ask for an illustrative payslip, based on your actual numbers and tax code.
    They should all come out with a few pounds of each other.

More than a few won't oblige, so cancel them. More than a few will offer something unrealistic, so ignore them. One or two will offer something that is both accurate and easily understood.

That's your short list.

Leave a comment:

• lucyclarityumbrella
    replied
    Every umbrella should be netting you the same take home pay, so if you want to get the best value for money pick up the phone and make sure you get the right feeling from the company you want to engage with, make sure they can explain it all and at it present it seems, see how quickly they respond to you

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Can you choose from the whole market or does your agency/client have a preferred supplier list you must choose from?

And, what do you mean "value for money"?

If you mean the cheapest weekly fee, there's only a few £s between them, so chose the one that has the services, options (eg, salary sacrifice, perks etc) that work for you.

If you mean which one will give you the most take-home pay, they should all be the same (or within rounding errors of each other). Any that looks too good to be true is and will likely leave you with HMRC coming after you in few years.

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    So no need to put any large amounts of money in a sipp or your own pension then?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Leave a comment:

Working...
X