• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Payeworx

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Payeworx"

Collapse

• sreed
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

I'm sure I posted a while back about some firms offering a 70-75% return because it caught / tricked a different type of contractor - one who knew that 90% was impossible but something closer to 50-60% you get via PAYE seemed plausible.
    Madness isn’t it. If they taken “only” a 5-10% margin, they’d struggle to sell the proposition, but soon as they bump it up to 20%+, it’s all good! Compared to the average brolly provider, the money they’d have minted through this fudge is mind-boggling.

Out of interest, I sent them an enquiry form for this scheme through their website yesterday, and as per the response that I got today - they’re still offering it! God only knows if the grunts at Payeworx even know about the HMRC list.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by lucyclarityumbrella View Post

I'm sure I posted a while back about some firms offering a 70-75% return because it caught / tricked a different type of contractor - one who knew that 90% was impossible but something closer to 50-60% you get via PAYE seemed plausible.

Leave a comment:

• lucyclarityumbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by sreed View Post
    CBP deduct around 2% from the larger payment as a fee, and a further 19% which they claim is Corporation Tax (CT). However, the rate of CT in the IOM is 0%. The scheme users are expected to distribute the alleged dividend amount as they see fit.”

That’s some margin! Now that they’ve made a HMRC’s list, they’ll no doubt go into administration shortly, leaving their clients over the last many years holding the bag.

Leave a comment:

• sreed
    replied
    The scheme user enters into an employment contract with Payeworx (PWL), and the scheme user’s Personal Service Company (PSC) is issued a share in Contractor Buddy PCC Limited (CBP), a connected protected cell company based in the Isle of Man (IOM). PWL pay the scheme user a salary that is around the minimum amount required by the National Minimum Wage Act 1998. CBP make a separate larger payment without deducting Income Tax and National Insurance Contributions to the scheme user’s PSC, supposedly for a dividend. CBP deduct around 2% from the larger payment as a fee, and a further 19% which they claim is Corporation Tax (CT). However, the rate of CT in the IOM is 0%. The scheme users are expected to distribute the alleged dividend amount as they see fit.”

That’s some margin! Now that they’ve made a HMRC’s list, they’ll no doubt go into administration shortly, leaving their clients over the last many years holding the bag.

Leave a comment:

• lucyclarityumbrella
    replied
    Not the only one it seems!

"The most recent update was on 24 August 2023 with the addition of Payeworx Ltd and SmartPay Limited."

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    And today Payework finally made HMRC's list of dodgy schemes see https://www.gov.uk/government/public...s#payeworx-ltd
    Finally!

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    And today Payework finally made HMRC's list of dodgy schemes see https://www.gov.uk/government/public...s#payeworx-ltd

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by wattaj View Post
    Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha...

https://i.ibb.co/cTCj9S0/Capture.png

PS: why can't I post pictures any more?
    Oh, clever. They've dropped the outlandish >80% lark to a more 'believable' 77%.

(And it's better that you don't post a picture in this instance, trust me...)

Leave a comment:

• wattaj
    replied
    Originally posted by wattaj View Post
    Not too sure what I'll find...
    Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha...

https://i.ibb.co/cTCj9S0/Capture.png

PS: why can't I post pictures any more?

Leave a comment:

• wattaj
    replied
    I see that PAYEworx have popped up again on LinkedIn. I've asked them to better explain their "IR35 Protected Limited Company", but I'm not holding my breath for a clear and unambiguous answer in public... I might request one of their "information packs".

Not too sure what I'll find...

Leave a comment:

• lucyclarityumbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    I bet they are QC approved too
    Undoubtedly! Probably HMRC approved too

(and in case HMRC are watching that was a joke, we all know you don't approve anyone or anything, although maybe you should when it comes to umbrella's! hint hint)

Leave a comment:

• Drei
    replied
    And you've just invented the MSC again by another name and they are completed banned.
    Makes sense, this means they would have to work out shares in real time according to contracts and profit. The only way I can see this, is at the end of every financial year, so you would have to make do with your £18k a year, then at the end the XX Company will pack up go and whilst enjoying all them "dividends" from all the contractors probably in a bank in Panama or one of the other islands in the Caribbean.

In regards to the NHS contractors, not sure what to say. They seem to be pretty happy doing it still. I know for a fact one of them is doing this to avoid paying higher child support, which is damn low.
    Last edited by Drei; 28 February 2020, 15:10.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by lucyclarityumbrella View Post
    Ask if they have a DOTAS number
    I bet they are QC approved too

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    I guess it all depends on how Payworx pays your LtdCo, it can't be a "normal" shareholding as YourCo payment of dividends has to be at the same level as everyone else's. Then you are looking at alphabet shares which although not illegal it need to be handled very carefully

Alphabet shares: Get the details right | AccountingWEB
    And you've just invented the MSC again by another name and they are completed banned.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by Drei View Post
    Hold on, so if you work for a consultancy firm and your salary is £30k a year, but the firm charges £800 per day for your services, how would that be illegal?

Every service provider does that, Microsoft Consultant is charged at £750 a day but the consultant receives a salary of £45k a year. Now your LTD company has a share in the Consulting Firm, in this case the Umbrella, therefore your salary is £18k and the LTD company receives £50k in dividends. Your LTD does whatever it wants with that money. You can then get as dividend payout or they could invest in something else. Either way, you still pay your tax on the dividends received, or not get any money, therefore not avoiding tax.

The only issue I can see is you trusting them to pay your LTD the dividend. If they do it monthly then great.
    I guess it all depends on how Payworx pays your LtdCo, it can't be a "normal" shareholding as YourCo payment of dividends has to be at the same level as everyone else's. Then you are looking at alphabet shares which although not illegal it need to be handled very carefully

Alphabet shares: Get the details right | AccountingWEB

Leave a comment:

Working...
X