• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Recommendations / Reviews on Umbrella companies"

Collapse

• TheKB
    replied
    Don't bother with Giant. I am forced to use them and had problems with my pension payment, it took months to have it paid and then backdated to cover my losses for the Employers Pension. Holiday accrual is under the statutory legal amount as its calculated incorrectly. Holiday pay was denied but then paid. They have changed our agreements 3 times in one year to lower the pension each time to the Qualified Earnings used to protect low income earners (which we are not), and the list goes on. Its one problem after another. Customer support is rubbish. Our client deemed them unsuitable so will see if they get rid of them. Fingers crossed.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    The Bike?
    the Bore?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by johnbishop411 View Post
    Strange

For other services Ive always been charged. Didnt think they would be putting this through salary sacrifice.

John
    The Bike?

Leave a comment:

• johnbishop411
    replied
    Originally posted by BABABlackSheep View Post
    Its salary sacrifice for the service for some reason. Its taken from Gross, but not sure why. Again, not every agency does this. That's why some people say they charge £4 and its actually £6 gross.

One thing to note is that you will automatically be enrolled into a pension scheme e.g. NEST. Its something like 4% of your rate and the agency(Paystream certainly) will offer to put in 3% themselves. This 3% is also from "your" gross rate.

You will get an email welcoming you to NEST after 12 weeks. At this time you have the option to "opt-out". Its up to individuals if they want to do this, but I am(opting-out) because there's no point contributing to NEST if you have a SIPP imho tyor.
    Strange

For other services Ive always been charged. Didnt think they would be putting this through salary sacrifice.

John

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by New Contractor View Post
    I have used Giant Group and am having a terriable time, between my agency and Giant I dont know where I am .

Constantly paid late with all sort of excuses

I have to pay around 45% of my salary to cover tax, NI, fees, everytime I asked for clarification I get very long emails or instant messages but no clarity. I feel like I am being robbed weekly, I am quite stressed and thinking of leaving the assignment because I can not cope with the poor service.

I am not sure how people are going to cope post April with these companies set up to earn money off your work. Really terriable.
    that's about right, with a brolly PAYE gig.
    as for service, if it's terriable<sic> then switch brollies.

Leave a comment:

• BABABlackSheep
    replied
    Originally posted by johnbishop411 View Post
    How does that work? If its a service shouldnt it be taken from net, with vat applied?

John
    Its salary sacrifice for the service for some reason. Its taken from Gross, but not sure why. Again, not every agency does this. That's why some people say they charge £4 and its actually £6 gross.

One thing to note is that you will automatically be enrolled into a pension scheme e.g. NEST. Its something like 4% of your rate and the agency(Paystream certainly) will offer to put in 3% themselves. This 3% is also from "your" gross rate.

You will get an email welcoming you to NEST after 12 weeks. At this time you have the option to "opt-out". Its up to individuals if they want to do this, but I am(opting-out) because there's no point contributing to NEST if you have a SIPP imho tyor.
    Last edited by BABABlackSheep; 20 February 2020, 12:13.

Leave a comment:

• johnbishop411
    replied
    Paystream allow you to make a gross salary sacrifice into a SIPP, most others don't.

They charge you £6 per transaction to cover admin, but this is taken from your gross amount as well.

Making pension contributions from umbrella companies is about the only tax benefit you still get, and my investment style means I want control in a SIPP.

Of course, see what happens in the upcoming budget
    How does that work? If its a service shouldnt it be taken from net, with vat applied?

John

Leave a comment:

• BABABlackSheep
    replied
    Originally posted by RandyCowpoke View Post
    I’m also in the same situation and been told by Pontoon I must choose one of those 5 Umbrella Companies.
    May I ask, why did you favour Paystream over the others!
    Paystream allow you to make a gross salary sacrifice into a SIPP, most others don't.

They charge you £6 per transaction to cover admin, but this is taken from your gross amount as well.

Making pension contributions from umbrella companies is about the only tax benefit you still get, and my investment style means I want control in a SIPP.

Of course, see what happens in the upcoming budget

Leave a comment:

• RandyCowpoke
    replied
    It was Pontoon’s list yes. But I’ve now got a contract elsewhere so my list is different.

I’m just looking into my options.

Edited/updated..If I have to go Umbrella then paystream is winning at the moment.
    I’m also in the same situation and been told by Pontoon I must choose one of those 5 Umbrella Companies.
    May I ask, why did you favour Paystream over the others!

Leave a comment:

• lucyclarityumbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by MrButton View Post
    You don’t have to leave the assignment. Switch umbrella companies.
    Just check your notice period first

Leave a comment:

• MrButton
    replied
    I feel like I am being robbed weekly, I am quite stressed and thinking of leaving the assignment because I can not cope with the poor service.
    You don’t have to leave the assignment. Switch umbrella companies.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    I have used Giant Group and am having a terriable time, between my agency and Giant I dont know where I am .

I have to pay around 45% of my salary to cover tax, NI, fees, everytime I asked for clarification I get very long emails or instant messages but no clarity. I feel like I am being robbed weekly, I am quite stressed and thinking of leaving the assignment because I can not cope with the poor service.

I am not sure how people are going to cope post April with these companies set up to earn money off your work. Really terriable.
    Salary?

Simple way to check this. I assume you get a pay slip showing deductions? Put your day rate into one of the other umbrella calculators and compare.

Leave a comment:

• New Contractor
    replied
    Giant Group

Originally posted by Bongo View Post
    Would anyone care to share their experiences, positive or otherwise, with any of the following umbrella companies: Clipper Contracting Group, Crest Plus, Danbro, Exchequer Solutions, Focused, FPS, Giant Group, Green Lantern, Key Portfolio, NWM, Orange Genie, Parasol, PayStream, and finally Sterling Group.

Many thanks.

Leave a comment:

• ascender
    replied
    I'm doing a role for a consulting firm who is delivering some work for a Bank. I've had an outside IR35 contract for the duration of this assignment, but the Bank have now instructed them that they are not allowed to use any PSCs going forward if they want any work with the Bank.

So that's that. I saw it coming, so welcome to umbrella-town.

I'll call around today, but from looking on here, this list doesn't exactly inspire me with confidence.
    • • Giant
      • Nasa
      • Orange Genie
      • Paystream

Leave a comment:

• BABABlackSheep
    replied
    Originally posted by M12 View Post
    Whom did you go with in the end? I am in a similar situation
    It was Pontoon’s list yes. But I’ve now got a contract elsewhere so my list is different.

I’m just looking into my options.

Edited/updated..If I have to go Umbrella then paystream is winning at the moment.
    Last edited by BABABlackSheep; 24 January 2020, 11:37.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X