• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Anyone used ADVANCE as an umbrella?"

Collapse

• Matt FPSGroup
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Is it 100% compliant and QC Approved?
    The contractor is employed by a UK company and paid under standard PAYE with all payments made to HMRC. There are no trusts, loans, dividends or other wheezes to try and avoid tax, so no need for QC opinion. We like to keep things simple, compliant and priced at a level to make it worthwhile for the contractor. You could pick our operation up and put it in Manchester and our service offering wouldn't change at all… other than a longer commute for our staff!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt FPSGroup View Post
    You are absolutely right, the fee covers much more. You must agree however that customers need to feel that they are getting value for money? As our customers were having their take home pay impacted, we felt that putting their needs first and reducing our fee was the right thing to do. We have managed to do this with no compliance issues and an entirely onshore solution.
    Is it 100% compliant and QC Approved?
    Last edited by northernladuk; 14 June 2016, 14:59.

Leave a comment:

• Matt FPSGroup
    replied
    Originally posted by lucycontractorumbrella View Post
    You do realise that in order to operate a compliant umbrella company there are many more things that need to be taken into consideration other than T&S, the margin was not simply to be able to process expense payments and the employment law side of things is very costly, that is if you are operating wholly in the UK.
    You are absolutely right, the fee covers much more. You must agree however that customers need to feel that they are getting value for money? As our customers were having their take home pay impacted, we felt that putting their needs first and reducing our fee was the right thing to do. We have managed to do this with no compliance issues and an entirely onshore solution.

Leave a comment:

• lucyclarityumbrella
    replied
    Following these changes, many operators have chosen not to reduce their fees in order to compensate contractors for their likely loss of T&S relief - it looks to me like Advance falls into this category.
    You do realise that in order to operate a compliant umbrella company there are many more things that need to be taken into consideration other than T&S, the margin was not simply to be able to process expense payments and the employment law side of things is very costly, that is if you are operating wholly in the UK.

Leave a comment:

• lucyclarityumbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    Do the sensible thing and go with Contractor Umbrella. I bet their charges are within a couple of quid of the other, unknown, risky (?) company.
    Thanking you

Leave a comment:

• missinggreenfields
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    MSC company
    Ah - a managed services company company. As long as they don't ask for your PIN number you should be safe.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Fred, You’re absolutely right, the vast majority of expenses were stopped in April via the changes in travel and subsistence legislation and the changes to the finance act. The only expenses we allow contractors to offset on a weekly basis is business mileage, as that is not impacted by the above. We will however help contractors to obtain a rebate at the end of the year via their P87 – we will log all the expenses, keep copies of any evidence required and then complete the necessary paperwork for them to sign and submit. What we aim to do is bolster the product offering so that it isn’t just about tax savings – there’s more to an outsourced employment solution than that!

All the best
    Matt
    Words fail me...

Leave a comment:

• Matt FPSGroup
    replied
    Fred, You’re absolutely right, the vast majority of expenses were stopped in April via the changes in travel and subsistence legislation and the changes to the finance act. The only expenses we allow contractors to offset on a weekly basis is business mileage, as that is not impacted by the above. We will however help contractors to obtain a rebate at the end of the year via their P87 – we will log all the expenses, keep copies of any evidence required and then complete the necessary paperwork for them to sign and submit. What we aim to do is bolster the product offering so that it isn’t just about tax savings – there’s more to an outsourced employment solution than that!

All the best
    Matt
    Last edited by Matt FPSGroup; 9 June 2016, 15:29.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by mikat View Post
    Fred and Matt, can I ask what MSC stands for please?

Also, I was under the impression that due to the SDC rules from April, certain expenses are longer allowed for umbrella employees yet that agency said there still maybe a way to claim these back.
    Managed Service Company.

The revenue wants to stop employees claiming expenses, it is very clear. Any employee taking tax free expenses claims is, in my opinion, on very dodgy ground.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by mikat View Post

Also, I was under the impression that due to the SDC rules from April, certain expenses are longer allowed for umbrella employees yet that agency said there still maybe a way to claim these back.
    You need to use the search method as described in the FAQ section and also have look around a bit. Both have been covered. Try reading some posts in the umbrella section for the answer to the expenses. MSC company can be found on Google if you can't find it using MSC site:forums.contractoruk.com

Leave a comment:

• mikat
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    Begs the question then, if the employees are subject to PAYE then how can they claim expenses as that has been stopped for all other employees?

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Begs the question then, if the employees are subject to PAYE then how can they claim expenses as that has been stopped for all other employees?

Leave a comment:

• Matt FPSGroup
    replied
    Fred, Contractors are employed by UK limited companies with UK banking arrangements – no money is transferred offshore. As the contractors aren’t directors and their money only ever gets paid to them under PAYE, there is no MSC risk at all. Flex is simply a low cost, simple and compliant PAYE solution. That’s why we are on the preferred supplier lists for most of the top agencies in the UK.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Hi Mikat,

The weekly charge of £25.95 that they are asking for was about average before the April 2016 legislative changes. Following these changes, many operators have chosen not to reduce their fees in order to compensate contractors for their likely loss of T&S relief - it looks to me like Advance falls into this category. In my opinion it is difficult in most circumstances to justify fees as high as this for umbrella in the current market. There are many operators out there who have taken steps to significantly reduce their fees in adopting variable percentage rates for example, which for most contractors will charge significantly less than what Advance are looking for. FPS Group would be happy to help if you need any further guidance.

All the best
    Matt
    You're IoM based? I've read the brochure and it makes very interesting reading. The Flex arrangement has MSC written all over it IMO.
    Last edited by Fred Bloggs; 9 June 2016, 06:46.

Leave a comment:

• Matt FPSGroup
    replied
    Hi Mikat,

The weekly charge of £25.95 that they are asking for was about average before the April 2016 legislative changes. Following these changes, many operators have chosen not to reduce their fees in order to compensate contractors for their likely loss of T&S relief - it looks to me like Advance falls into this category. In my opinion it is difficult in most circumstances to justify fees as high as this for umbrella in the current market. There are many operators out there who have taken steps to significantly reduce their fees in adopting variable percentage rates for example, which for most contractors will charge significantly less than what Advance are looking for. FPS Group would be happy to help if you need any further guidance.

All the best
    Matt

Leave a comment:

Working...
X