• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Everything you ever wanted to know about umbrella companies but were afraid to ask..."

Collapse

• lucyclarityumbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by Banshee View Post
    You are my Umbrella and that is what I determine my contract with you says. However, my ELO says different......

When should I get grumpy? or shall I stay at slightly irritated?

If the invoice is overdue, then you can be paid NMW - if you drop me an email and let me know your name I can look into it this end and speak with the ELO.

Leave a comment:

• Banshee
    replied
    Originally posted by lucycontractorumbrella View Post
    As Lisa said the minimum wage should be payable to you regardless of whether or not the umbrella company receives funds from the agency/client and the bonus is payable upon receipt of said funds. You must go back to your contract of employment with them to determine what they have said.
    You are my Umbrella and that is what I determine my contract with you says. However, my ELO says different......

When should I get grumpy? or shall I stay at slightly irritated?

Leave a comment:

• lucyclarityumbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by Banshee View Post
    Unfortunately, and unless something has changed since the above was written and posted, I've just been told by my Umbrella that they CANNOT pay me NMW until the end client has paid them....

Who is right? the above advice or my Umbrella?
    As Lisa said the minimum wage should be payable to you regardless of whether or not the umbrella company receives funds from the agency/client and the bonus is payable upon receipt of said funds. You must go back to your contract of employment with them to determine what they have said.

Leave a comment:

• Banshee
    replied
    Umbrella - minimum wage

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    The contract of employment that you sign with your umbrella company should indicate that you will receive a minimum wage salary and a profit related bonus. The minimum wage should be payable to you regardless of whether or not the umbrella company receives funds from the agency/client and the bonus is payable upon receipt of said funds.

As with any other UK employer an umbrella company has a legal responsibility to pay employer's national insurance contributions to HMRC; the contract rate will be paid to the umbrella company by the agency/client and, from this, the umbrella will fulfill this legal responsibility and will retain their margin (usually £25-£30 per week). The balance is your salary which is then subject to PAYE income tax and employee's national insurance deductions.

Again, as with any other employer, if you decide that you no longer want to work with your umbrella company, you will be required to give notice - usually 1 month.

HTH
    Unfortunately, and unless something has changed since the above was written and posted, I've just been told by my Umbrella that they CANNOT pay me NMW until the end client has paid them....

Who is right? the above advice or my Umbrella?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/attachme...4&d=1396242100

Leave a comment:

• NickNick
    replied
    Originally posted by One Click Group View Post
    Or something you do to get the atmosphere going at a party.

Play Agadoo by Blakc Lace?

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Not this time Lisa. More a link to something you do with a big reinforced ship in the Arctic.

Ok, you've lost me

Leave a comment:

• One Click Group
    replied
    Not this time Lisa. More a link to something you do with a big reinforced ship in the Arctic.

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Googling the director's full name brings up some interesting results.

Just saying......
    A connection with a company who's name sounds like a desert nomad's perchance?

Leave a comment:

• One Click Group
    replied
    Googling the director's full name brings up some interesting results.

Just saying......

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Umbrella 65% or so
    Limited - 70% to 84% depending on rate, share structure and expenses..

Anything that isn't your own limited company and is offering much above 70% is probably illegal or pulling tricks... There was a great one a while back that not only screwed up your personal relationship with HMRC but also screwed up your pension....

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by igoutas View Post
    Obviously, you are right guys. For sure I do not thik that 90% is feasible staying in line with tax laws, although rates like 65% seem a little bit low!

I really thank you for your help, I will read as much as I can and I will come back.In the meanwhile, if anyone has something to propose , do not hesitate please.
    65% is about right for a normal umbrella.

Leave a comment:

• igoutas
    replied
    Obviously, you are right guys. For sure I do not thik that 90% is feasible staying in line with tax laws, although rates like 65% seem a little bit low!

I really thank you for your help, I will read as much as I can and I will come back.In the meanwhile, if anyone has something to propose , do not hesitate please.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    I can't recommend either company as I've never come across TEK and Parasol while being long established I've heard some negative comments about.

That being said does 90% retention sound sensible or maybe far too good to be true? Just think about what the prevailing rate of tax is and do the basic sums add up?

Anyone signing up for a scheme these days really does need their head examining.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by igoutas View Post
    Hi everyone.

I will start as a contractor from the 1st of July for my first time. I am going to choose Umbrella company for starters but I would like to ask you the following.
    I have spoken with Parasol and they told me about 65% take home. Also, I aksed for TEK umbrella to calculate me the same and they told me nearly 90% take home.
    So I am skeptical about both of them... What is the safer company to start with according to your experience?

Thank you in advance,
    Giannis
    First, read this http://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc-...following.html

Next, read these threads. HMRC Scheme Enquiries

Then do your research. This company has been incorporated for just over one year but it is late with it's company accounts.
    It's registered address is a post-drop with over 20 companies using the same address for their registered premises.

Don't go with an umbrella that will drop you in it with the tax man.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X