• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Wordpress type website builders or manually"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Even GoDaddy does that so choosing a host which doesn't would seem pretty daft.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    WP is used for thousands of professional sites (including my own), I'd recommend it.
    And that's fine as long as you have a hosting company that either allows you to update your own binaries or keeps them up to date for you. Otherwise everytime the next exploit is found, your site becomes a web bitch for every script kiddy with a need to serve driveby malware. If you do it for a living it's no problem to spend a few hours updating packages or reviewing code for x site vulnerabilites, but for most people it's not why they want site.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Over the last few months I have seen an awful lot of attacks targeting older versions of Wordpress on a site I manage
    Something my web hosters have mentioned very recently.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    WP is used for thousands of professional sites (including my own), I'd recommend it.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    It Took me about a day to put together a new professional site for myself this week. I have had one for a few years but the hosting has been a bit random of late so I have designed to get it sorted. I used iWeb this time round. I found it very nice and clean. Personally If you are just putting up a site to say. "Hi this is me and what I do and some samples of my work" I would stay away from slick SQL and embedded code unless you actually do that stuff for a living. Only from the point of view that if you don't keep an eye on the site every day It could be weeks before you realise you have been owned or defaced.

I have to say the Effective MI site is very slick. The sort of thing I guess many people will be trying to spend £1200 on in the future.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    If you're going to go with Wordpress, make sure that you keep up to date and have some decent scanning plugins.

My site got hacked regularly which in the end I found out was down to the PHPMyAdmin plugin which was massively out of date and had security holes in it. I now subscribe to a few email lists and have some plugins which look for vulnerabilities.

My site has static pages and blog as well - didn't take long to set up and get going. I also use Google Apps for email etc. which took marginally longer to get going but not too long. I can't understand how people who work in IT can have their own domain name and website, yet still use a Hotmail account for their email.

Leave a comment:

• Vanilla
    replied
    May as well whack my Wordpress site into the mix, $35 template off AJ @ WPExplorer.com. Probably took 1/2 a day to get it looking like this excluding the mods to the stock photos Isocentric - Information Security Optimisation | Isocentric

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Vandalay View Post
    Re the specific functions, there are plugins one wordpress for more or less anything. Most are free, but some premium ones cost a little more.

Yes, as you say it's perhaps not as fully customised as a totally bespoke website but for the vast majority of small businesses it's an excellent and low cost solution.
    Agreed, but don't go mad with your plugins; just use the ones you really need.

And make sure that you keep your Wordpress site at the latest revision. Over the last few months I have seen an awful lot of attacks targeting older versions of Wordpress on a site I manage

Updating Wordpress is a doddle to do, so there's no excuse.

And if you allow strangers to register for an account and post, Akismet is an excellent plugin. Free for personal use, and not at all expensive for commercial use.

Leave a comment:

• Netraider
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    You haven't added links so you're forgiven

Thanks to V and B. This is very useful.
    WCS

Might have to go at updating my online presence. Rep well and truly spread

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by Battenburg View Post
    We use WordPress, plus some other tools, almost exclusively. It's pretty good but a bit of a learning curve initially. A friend of ours has used one of the template ecommerce web development tool kits and is quite disapppointed with the results, and the lack of support for the money she paid!

We created quite a graphical based site (everlastingseasons.co.uk) plus some others still under development. Take a look as an example of what you can achieve graphically. Happy to help further if you don't want to take it on yourself. (Sorry, blatently pimping myself here.)
    You haven't added links so you're forgiven

Thanks to V and B. This is very useful.

Leave a comment:

• Vandalay
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Great post thank you very much. Am happy with the process, have had sites before but they were created in Dreamweaver so 'custom'. I just wasn't sure if these new plug n play things had viable solution over a Dreamweaver created type site. I think from the feedback already that they have it nailed so going to have a play.

It was just me being a dinosaur I think. The last CMS type builder I looked at delivered the page in frames without the HTML option so was invisible to google and the like.
    Good stuff.

A good place to start is www.Woothemes.com. All of their themes have additional features built in and are very simple to use once installed.

For images use iStock Photo: Royalty Free Stock Photography, Vector Art Images, Music & Video Stock Footage | iStock

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Vandalay View Post
    Wife and I do a lot of web development on the side of contracting, mostly wordpress based.

Steps to go through briefly are:

1 - buy domain (<£10)
    2 - buy hosting (£30-70 per year)
    3 - buy a wordpress theme (Really good ones are around £40-50)
    4 - install domain, setup with a logo etc. Buy any images you want to use (<£20 for a contractors website, using decent images)
    5 - write up pages & configure social media linkages etc
    6 - launch
    7 - register with google etc

eg my 'contracting' website is Effective MI | Management Information & Business Intelligence Consultancy

Drop me a PM, I could help you get started, if you like.
    Great post thank you very much. Am happy with the process, have had sites before but they were created in Dreamweaver so 'custom'. I just wasn't sure if these new plug n play things had viable solution over a Dreamweaver created type site. I think from the feedback already that they have it nailed so going to have a play.

It was just me being a dinosaur I think. The last CMS type builder I looked at delivered the page in frames without the HTML option so was invisible to google and the like.

Leave a comment:

• Vandalay
    replied
    Re the specific functions, there are plugins one wordpress for more or less anything. Most are free, but some premium ones cost a little more.

Yes, as you say it's perhaps not as fully customised as a totally bespoke website but for the vast majority of small businesses it's an excellent and low cost solution.

Leave a comment:

• Battenburg
    replied
    Wordpress Sites

We use WordPress, plus some other tools, almost exclusively. It's pretty good but a bit of a learning curve initially. A friend of ours has used one of the template ecommerce web development tool kits and is quite disapppointed with the results, and the lack of support for the money she paid!

We created quite a graphical based site (everlastingseasons.co.uk) plus some others still under development. Take a look as an example of what you can achieve graphically. Happy to help further if you don't want to take it on yourself. (Sorry, blatently pimping myself here.)

Leave a comment:

• Vandalay
    replied
    Wife and I do a lot of web development on the side of contracting, mostly wordpress based.

Steps to go through briefly are:

1 - buy domain (<£10)
    2 - buy hosting (£30-70 per year)
    3 - buy a wordpress theme (Really good ones are around £40-50)
    4 - install domain, setup with a logo etc. Buy any images you want to use (<£20 for a contractors website, using decent images)
    5 - write up pages & configure social media linkages etc
    6 - launch
    7 - register with google etc

eg my 'contracting' website is Effective MI | Management Information & Business Intelligence Consultancy

Drop me a PM, I could help you get started, if you like.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X