• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Reception area PC display"

Collapse

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by wxman View Post
    I tried XiBO - but tonight this has actually killed the wife's PC! (rebuild now required)
    So you tried some "free" software, and it's cost you hours of your time, not to mention annoying your wife (and she puts up with enough already if I remember the telly programme ).

(It wasn't the Ask Toolbar was it? I installed something free that came with that POS, and it kept wiping out my boot.ini, but it was easy to fix and get the machine going again).

Overall it might be better just to script up a web page to host all the above and run it full screen on the reception display. I can code up a simple admin interface so that welcome messages can be updated.
    Again, hours and hours of work to avoid buying something. I'm sure we've all been there: clients who want to pay for weeks of contractor time as long as they're saving money with "free" software. Good for us; doesn't make a lot of sense overall.

Leave a comment:

• wxman
    replied
    Problem is that "Marketing" want the display to be as they want it.

IE: RSS BBC news feed ticker across the bottom, Company info / welcome on left hand side with image rotator on right hand side.

I tried XiBO - but tonight this has actually killed the wife's PC! (rebuild now required)
    Overall it might be better just to script up a web page to host all the above and run it full screen on the reception display. I can code up a simple admin interface so that welcome messages can be updated.

** business opportunity **
    Just Google Digital signage - I can not believe how much money some companies are charging for this . It appears that there is a huge gap in the market that someone can corner .....
    Last edited by wxman; 8 April 2010, 23:22. Reason: typo

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    did it with a sharepoint list, can cycle through announcements and easy for user to update with security.

Alternatively TV with SD / usb interface most of the big screens have it. Cycle through a picture album. Bonus the security guards and IT can watch the match on it after hours.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    At exhibitions I use excel to provide a continuous display. The vba timer cycles through a bunch of images from my installed programs as listed on a sheet. These are 832x690 and display in a box on a full screen background to look as if the actuals program are running. Dead simple but it works. Maybe you can mod it to suit, anyone can do vba.

http://www.gatekeeperel.co.uk/temp/demo6.xls

PS You could replace the picturebox by a webbrowser and cycle though a bunch of webpages similarly. More flexible.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 8 April 2010, 17:30.

Leave a comment:

• The Wikir Man
    replied
    Been in Iceland looking at the Eurupting Volcano and the Northan Lights- but off to the USA (Again) May 1st in search of tornadoes !!
    Kind of like this?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Been in Iceland looking at the Eurupting Volcano and the Northan Lights- but off to the USA (Again) May 1st in search of tornadoes !!
    Back to the digital display- I am going to have a look at. this which is free to boot!
    They're big things mate, howling huge masses of swirling air, you can't miss 'em!

Look for a girl in red shoes carrying a black dog, somewhere round Kansas.

Leave a comment:

• wxman
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Not been taken out by any storms then... where you been all this time?

Back to the digital display- I am going to have a look at. this which is free to boot!

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Not free, but:

http://www.digitalworkshop.com/products/Creator.shtml

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Not been taken out by any storms then... where you been all this time?

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Anything that does a "kiosk mode" slideshow would work. There's an estate agents near me that does this gubbins on some screens in their window, although it doesn't always work

It should be possible to use PowerPoint for something like this by creating a batch file to run the relevant deck fullscreen, but as the estate agent's example shows, you really need to have it as a startup item

EDIT: just noticed the bit about free software. Total overkill, but OpenOffice.org also has a PowerPoint-alike presentation thingy, and will run on a free OS rather than Windows. As for the RSS feed stuff: IIRC, you should be able to run Firefox in full-screen/kiosk mode, fully locked down, and a simple JS-based app could do all that stuff.

EDIT AGAIN: Oh, and Firefox-with-Flash would also be able to cope with video, but if it's proprietary video content, then encoding it using the Ogg codecs for video and audio would allow use of Firefox's (or, if you made a custom app embedding it, the underlying Gecko rendering engine's) HTML5 <video> capabilities. You can definitely meet all your requirements using free software, but it's almost certainly possible to do it all with an installation of Firefox and a few tweaks to about:config, assuming you can encode the video appropriately. Alternatively, you could knock something up that embeds Google's Chromium (their version of the open-source WebKit rendering engine from Apple that drives Google Chrome) and use H.264-encoded video (compatible with Flash) via HTML5 instead.
    Last edited by NickFitz; 8 April 2010, 04:02.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Sun Sunray in kiosk mode?

Leave a comment:

• administrator
    replied
    If you know a little Flash then you could do a quick animation, local installation of your favourite web server, browser to hit localhost to view a page with embedded Flash file and then hit F11 on the keyboard to go full screen.

Leave a comment:

• wxman
    started a topic Reception area PC display

Reception area PC display

I have been tasked with setting up a "Welcome to Company X" type display screen in the current clients reception area. I am sure that you have all seen this sort of thing on your travels...

Any one have any experience of such a system - I have hardware to spare so I am just looking for any (free?) software / suggestions on how to do this.

The client wants to display some video / image slideshow, Welcome text and a news / weather RSS feed.

Working...
X