• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Temp storage?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Temp storage?"

Collapse

• tenpin
    replied
    I've used something called GDisk from OSX in the past that takes advantage of your 100 GMail invitations and allows you to use that as offline storage. 100 * 7GB per user == lots of offline storage!

http://gdisk.sourceforge.net/

And then there is GSpace for Firefox

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1593

Although I note that Google have amended theie T&Cs to outlaw this abuse of their GMail service.

Third party applications and Gmail

Using third party software applications that interact with Gmail directly violates the Terms of Use that all users must agree to before creating a Gmail address. Google does not endorse any third party applications meant to interact with Gmail, and we will not provide support for them.
    Last edited by tenpin; 25 November 2009, 15:37. Reason: Update

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Though google was doing free storage.
    Only certain types of doc you can upload I think

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Though google was doing free storage.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw View Post
    Oops,

Packed up my home PC yesterday and it's now in a container without copying all my work stuff from current job (I always take a copy of what I've done with me).

Any suggestions on temp on line storage (A month or so), for free?
    I have an Ubuntu One account for if and when it's needed:

https://one.ubuntu.com/

2GB for free, or 50GB if you want to pay $10 (so £6ish) a month.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Usually i've written the entire source base so not a problem there

As I said, I don't recycle code from one client to another. Always write from scratch. It's not morals that make me do that, it's just that the variety of work I do is such that it makes better sense.
    However there are techniques which I want to keep hold of. It's simpler to just copy everything than to selectively pick and choose.
    There is also the possibility that the old client might contact me with a query. If I have the source code with me I can quickly refer back to it and give them an answer.
    If you take the code and documents with you, then if any query ever arose (either about the work, or the quality thereof), at least you have something to refer to.

I recycle code as and when I need to - there is no point in reinventing the wheel. There are code samples on my blog that I add information to occasionally, so what's the difference?

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    Sorry everyone I didn't mean to start another thread within a thread - it just struck me as odd that a wholescale copy of all work is done given the legalities of doing this.

Taking select material for 'research' purposes, yes I can accept but the whole sourcebase for a system is a bit suspect IMHO and isn't there stuff in your contracts about confidential and copyrighted materials, intelluctual property etc etc?

RichardCranium - I like your idea of putting your Ltd Co name on your reports!
    Usually i've written the entire source base so not a problem there

As I said, I don't recycle code from one client to another. Always write from scratch. It's not morals that make me do that, it's just that the variety of work I do is such that it makes better sense.
    However there are techniques which I want to keep hold of. It's simpler to just copy everything than to selectively pick and choose.
    There is also the possibility that the old client might contact me with a query. If I have the source code with me I can quickly refer back to it and give them an answer.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Sorry everyone I didn't mean to start another thread within a thread - it just struck me as odd that a wholescale copy of all work is done given the legalities of doing this.

Taking select material for 'research' purposes, yes I can accept but the whole sourcebase for a system is a bit suspect IMHO and isn't there stuff in your contracts about confidential and copyrighted materials, intelluctual property etc etc?

To be honest, I don't really care. I'm not taking it to steal some intellectual property from client x fro my own benefit, and I'm not taking other people's work. I'm just taking a copy of work I've done, that I may or may not use again somewhere else, or at least reference when I'm working on a project if it's relevant.

Maybe for you programmers it's different.

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    To add value as a contractor.

Leave a comment:

• Badger
    replied
    In those cases I email the documents to myself to 'work on from home'

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    You've copied all your stuff from work, for what purpose?
    I take a copy of business cases, PIDs, and any other documents I think I may re-use. Any value-add consultancy I do (reports, proposals, recommendations) are always marked (c) MyLtdCo despite being written in ClientCo time so they come with me. Any documents I am particularly pleased with also come.

Since I try to work in a niche field, I find myself telling different clients the same things and producing similar documentation; no client has yet complained of the time saved.

What gets annoying is when ClientCo have all the CD drives and USB ports disabled to prevent you stealing stuff; that makes it hard to let them benefit from what I possess (yet without making it much harder to take what I want off site!)

Leave a comment:

• JoJoGabor
    replied
    checdk out a new service from microsoft www.mesh.com. Allows syncing of data from laptop to phone to mac via a 5GB online storage area. It will also download a utility to sync your laptop

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Designs I've done, proposals I've written, configs I've worked on and know work etc.

tulip you forget after a year or so, but may have to dig up again at some future date. Did a full QoS design for a company a few years back, and used it twice since then. 5 pages of very good stuff, makes it look you've been putting the hard yards in and all I have to do is change the names and tweak it to reflect the sites covered ...
    The other day, I had to dig out a bid proposal that I wrote about 7 years ago. I keep as much as I can remember to take with me

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Designs I've done, proposals I've written, configs I've worked on and know work etc.

tulip you forget after a year or so, but may have to dig up again at some future date. Did a full QoS design for a company a few years back, and used it twice since then. 5 pages of very good stuff, makes it look you've been putting the hard yards in and all I have to do is change the names and tweak it to reflect the sites covered ...
    I have a selection of policy and procedure documents that I do exactly the same thing with. No point re-inventing the wheel every time when every client wants more or less the same thing anyway.

An <insert standards name here> compliant policy or process to do <x>.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    To add value as a contractor.

I always do it too. I have a small library of scripts which help on a day-to-day basis.
    I don't recycle code written for a specific client implementation but having the code on hand to refer to is a lot simpler than trying to keep accurate notes on things

Leave a comment:

Working...
X