• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Temp storage?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

checdk out a new service from microsoft www.mesh.com. Allows syncing of data from laptop to phone to mac via a 5GB online storage area. It will also download a utility to sync your laptop

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
      You've copied all your stuff from work, for what purpose?
      I take a copy of business cases, PIDs, and any other documents I think I may re-use. Any value-add consultancy I do (reports, proposals, recommendations) are always marked (c) MyLtdCo despite being written in ClientCo time so they come with me. Any documents I am particularly pleased with also come.

Since I try to work in a niche field, I find myself telling different clients the same things and producing similar documentation; no client has yet complained of the time saved.

What gets annoying is when ClientCo have all the CD drives and USB ports disabled to prevent you stealing stuff; that makes it hard to let them benefit from what I possess (yet without making it much harder to take what I want off site!)
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

In those cases I email the documents to myself to 'work on from home'

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
          To add value as a contractor.
          Sorry everyone I didn't mean to start another thread within a thread - it just struck me as odd that a wholescale copy of all work is done given the legalities of doing this.

Taking select material for 'research' purposes, yes I can accept but the whole sourcebase for a system is a bit suspect IMHO and isn't there stuff in your contracts about confidential and copyrighted materials, intelluctual property etc etc?

RichardCranium - I like your idea of putting your Ltd Co name on your reports!
          This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Sorry everyone I didn't mean to start another thread within a thread - it just struck me as odd that a wholescale copy of all work is done given the legalities of doing this.

Taking select material for 'research' purposes, yes I can accept but the whole sourcebase for a system is a bit suspect IMHO and isn't there stuff in your contracts about confidential and copyrighted materials, intelluctual property etc etc?

To be honest, I don't really care. I'm not taking it to steal some intellectual property from client x fro my own benefit, and I'm not taking other people's work. I'm just taking a copy of work I've done, that I may or may not use again somewhere else, or at least reference when I'm working on a project if it's relevant.

Maybe for you programmers it's different.
            Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Usually i've written the entire source base so not a problem there

As I said, I don't recycle code from one client to another. Always write from scratch. It's not morals that make me do that, it's just that the variety of work I do is such that it makes better sense.
              However there are techniques which I want to keep hold of. It's simpler to just copy everything than to selectively pick and choose.
              There is also the possibility that the old client might contact me with a query. If I have the source code with me I can quickly refer back to it and give them an answer.
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                Usually i've written the entire source base so not a problem there

As I said, I don't recycle code from one client to another. Always write from scratch. It's not morals that make me do that, it's just that the variety of work I do is such that it makes better sense.
                However there are techniques which I want to keep hold of. It's simpler to just copy everything than to selectively pick and choose.
                There is also the possibility that the old client might contact me with a query. If I have the source code with me I can quickly refer back to it and give them an answer.
                If you take the code and documents with you, then if any query ever arose (either about the work, or the quality thereof), at least you have something to refer to.

I recycle code as and when I need to - there is no point in reinventing the wheel. There are code samples on my blog that I add information to occasionally, so what's the difference?
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
                  Oops,

Packed up my home PC yesterday and it's now in a container without copying all my work stuff from current job (I always take a copy of what I've done with me).

Any suggestions on temp on line storage (A month or so), for free?
                  I have an Ubuntu One account for if and when it's needed:

https://one.ubuntu.com/

2GB for free, or 50GB if you want to pay $10 (so £6ish) a month.

Comment

Though google was doing free storage.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                      Though google was doing free storage.
                      Only certain types of doc you can upload I think
                      Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Working...
                      X