• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "neat and light laptop?"

Collapse

• malvolio
    replied
    Or even the HP 2510p. Several of them around the client site, 12" screen, professional quality with same basic gear as my full size 6910.

Leave a comment:

• Kess
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Dell Vostro 1310, from £229, although being a dell you can customise to fit your pocket/requirements
    I second that. I just bought a Vostro 1310 for my son to lug to school and even with Dual Core processor, dedicated graphics card (he insisted, can't imagine why...), and extended battery pack options it was £440 (inc VAT). It's a neat little package and weighs about 2.1kg. Also the 13" screen has a nice matt finish, it's not one of those shiny ones that reflect all the lights.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by portseven View Post
    What about the HP Mini Note?

Comes with Windows if you want, and about £350, looks classy too IMHO

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx...avigationKey=0
    I seriously wanted to buy one of these as a second unit but a few reviews have said it could do with a more powerful processor.

Leave a comment:

• bobsmithldn
    replied
    MacBook Air!

init!

Great battery life.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    The HP Pavilion 2550, with a 12" touch screen, looks good

Leave a comment:

• mailric
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    I've just bought an Asus Eee PC 901 Linux (20gb) but you can get them in XP (12gb) as well. (8.9" screen)

Asus says it has a battery life of 7 hrs, reviewers have definitely gone over 4hrs.

These machines are definitely not for report writing of anything that requires long hours in front of them - for that you'd need the Eee PC 1000. But they are excellent for using on the hoof, accessing wi-fi, watching videos and typing the odd email on the train/airport/wetherspoons. I have it for exactly that as my 2nd laptop.

The Eee PC 1000 has a 10" screen which might be what you're looking for...
    will look into the PC 1000 over the weekend. cheers.

just got my e71 in the post so busy playing with that for now

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    I've just bought an Asus Eee PC 901 Linux (20gb) but you can get them in XP (12gb) as well. (8.9" screen)

Asus says it has a battery life of 7 hrs, reviewers have definitely gone over 4hrs.

These machines are definitely not for report writing of anything that requires long hours in front of them - for that you'd need the Eee PC 1000. But they are excellent for using on the hoof, accessing wi-fi, watching videos and typing the odd email on the train/airport/wetherspoons. I have it for exactly that as my 2nd laptop.

The Eee PC 1000 has a 10" screen which might be what you're looking for...
    Last edited by cojak; 23 August 2008, 17:30.

Leave a comment:

• ft101
    replied
    I have an asus eee pc, the earlier 701 (?) with the small 7" screen. It was great on a round the world trip for checking email, banking etc through wifi hotspots, but the keyboard gets seriously tiring after a while and the screen too.

Horsepower wise, its seems to be better than its 600mghz would suggest, I even had Gimp and Raw converter running converting 8megapixal raw files (6Mb+) to jpg files no probs (bit slow mind)

Battery life is actually not great at 2 hrs approx.

I would not recommend one for business use apart from perhaps the odd occasion such as adhoc pen testing, security testing. Would not write a report on one though.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    I think battery life kills off anything with mechanical hard disks etc as fasr as I'm concerned. We need a device with a full school day of battery power really. I think an EEE may be the only option.

Can such a device as an EEE really run typical Windows bloatware applications, anti virus etc... and not grind to halt for lack of horse power?

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by mailric View Post
    i'd pay it, if i wasn't a clumsy oaf and convinced i'd drop it / lose it.

so 1000 is the limit i want to risk
    I got 3 year accident/theft cover included with my Dell when I bought it (and 3 year global onsite warranty repair).
    It pays to haggle

And I have claimed on that accident repair - Dell were seriously fecking easy when it came to it, no questions, no trouble, new parts sent out next day delivery to an address of my choice

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Goodness me, next you'll be telling me your IT equipment isn't insured.....

Leave a comment:

• mailric
    replied
    i'd pay it, if i wasn't a clumsy oaf and convinced i'd drop it / lose it.

so 1000 is the limit i want to risk

Leave a comment:

• MikeC1408
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
    Are you a contractor or a permie for gods sake!!!!!!
    Me, I'm a contractor and would pay that

But, the last line of his post did say he didn't want to pay that amount.

Leave a comment:

• portseven
    replied
    What about the HP Mini Note?

Comes with Windows if you want, and about £350, looks classy too IMHO

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx...avigationKey=0

Leave a comment:

• conned tractor
    replied
    I'm looking for a similar thing at the moment. My requirements are more biased towards portability and i have narrowed it down to:

Dell d430: 12.1" screen, acessories easy to pick up at reasonabe prices.

Toshiba R500: 12.1" screen, the lightest laptop i have found so far - one variant weights in at 0.8kg. I ove this laptop and may well go with this one - you need to seeone in the flesh to appreciate how light it is.

And other options which didn't appeal to me so much but similar are the lenevo X61 and apple do a small one - although never been into macs. And if you want to pay even more than that then theres always Sony.

If you go to a 13.3" screen it gets loads cheaper....and contemplating the Toshiba sat pro u400 - different variants of which vary between (approx) £450 - £750 dependant on processor, ram, HDD size etc.

It would be great if you could go to one shop and see them all in the flesh......and then of course go and buy at internet prices.

I hope you get what you want and i hope this is of some help to you.

Conned tractor

Leave a comment:

Working...
X