• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

neat and light laptop?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

neat and light laptop?

calling all technos...

whats the best laptop to buy which is nice and light and about 12.5 inch screen so its easy to carry?

requirements...

- got to be pretty light
    - internet
    - ms office (so i guess vista a must - pain in the ass)
    - 12.5 inch screen (or thereabouts) so small and easy to carry
    - good battery life - my current toshiba is shlte
    - Not one of those 200 quid things off ebay everyone is raving on about - because i dont know what linux is - should I be admitting that??
    - not over a grand - ideally much much less

I think these are the way forward:

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en...5-3355644.html

Got to be seen to be appreciated really

Comment

Dell Vostro 1310, from £229, although being a dell you can customise to fit your pocket/requirements
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
        I think these are the way forward:

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en...5-3355644.html

Got to be seen to be appreciated really

But it's over a grand.

Comment

I am interested in a device for my son to use at school. The school suggests the Asus EEE. I'm thinking of something a bit more like a conventional laptop, but a compact one. The EEE's (and others) seem to have a good battery life due to the absence of "normal" hard disks and other mechanical power hungry devices.
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

problem is, once you go under a certain screen size the price makes a huge jump upwards and performance heads downwards.

As i said, have a look at the Vostro from Dell, its not a 12.x" screen but at 13.3" its pretty close

And dell have some very honest 3rd party reviews on their website too
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by MikeC1408 View Post
              But it's over a grand.
              Are you a contractor or a permie for gods sake!!!!!!

Comment

mm. interesting.

Think that EEE comes with windows xp which would be nice - rid of vista would be a bonus.

can't justify a grand only to have it nicked/broken whilst dragging it from client to client

Comment

I'm looking for a similar thing at the moment. My requirements are more biased towards portability and i have narrowed it down to:

Dell d430: 12.1" screen, acessories easy to pick up at reasonabe prices.

Toshiba R500: 12.1" screen, the lightest laptop i have found so far - one variant weights in at 0.8kg. I ove this laptop and may well go with this one - you need to seeone in the flesh to appreciate how light it is.

And other options which didn't appeal to me so much but similar are the lenevo X61 and apple do a small one - although never been into macs. And if you want to pay even more than that then theres always Sony.

If you go to a 13.3" screen it gets loads cheaper....and contemplating the Toshiba sat pro u400 - different variants of which vary between (approx) £450 - £750 dependant on processor, ram, HDD size etc.

It would be great if you could go to one shop and see them all in the flesh......and then of course go and buy at internet prices.

I hope you get what you want and i hope this is of some help to you.

Conned tractor

Comment

What about the HP Mini Note?

Comes with Windows if you want, and about £350, looks classy too IMHO

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx...avigationKey=0
                    Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Working...
                    X