• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: AVG 8 Issues

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "AVG 8 Issues"

Collapse

• El_Diablo
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    About time too

I wonder which imbecile thought it was a good idea... why are there so many morons out there who don't even seem to have any idea of how the web actually works when they implement their "features"?
    Was that their 'linkscanner' thing? someone needs to get fired for implementing that piece of...cack!

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    You mean like Office 2008 for Mac, you can still get Office 2004 via resellers and Apple are still supporting it with updates etc.
    If you review previous threads on here, you'll find that neither version is as stable and functional as the Windows equivalent.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    About time too

I wonder which imbecile thought it was a good idea... why are there so many morons out there who don't even seem to have any idea of how the web actually works when they implement their "features"?

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    I've unistalled and re-installed and it "appears" to be running fine.

I'll give it another couple of weeks, so I can look at alternatives before ditching it.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied

AVG has dumped safe search

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    You mean like Office 2008 for Mac, you can still get Office 2004 via resellers and Apple are still supporting it with updates etc.
    Microsoft

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    I would, but I still have too much "native windows" stuff so I'd spent the whole time running Windows in a VM.

And the lack of a native good/stable/compatible version of MS Office would be an issue.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Get a Mac. Sorted.
    I would, but I still have too much "native windows" stuff so I'd spent the whole time running Windows in a VM.

And the lack of a native good/stable/compatible version of MS Office would be an issue.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    £37 you tightwads, you are contractors and loaded I presume

Freebie freaks
    I PAY for my AVG. I'm cross because I just renewed for 2 years, got AVG into the bargain and now feel like I wasted £60.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    What the hell, Saturday Night, Sunday Morning, let's get flamed...

Get a Mac. Sorted.

(You know it's true...)

Leave a comment:

• TheRefactornator
    replied
    No real problems with AVG 8.0.138 free version here, but that safe search feature is dung and has to go. I switched it off as soon as I suffered it

C:\avg_free_stf_xxxx.exe /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSurf /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSearch

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    IIWY, I'd throw AVG away and download Avast! Home version which is free for home use and simply a very, very good anti virus application. HTH.
    Seconded.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Ditch AVG, it's bloated and will slow your machine down and is causing some serious network traffic issues for a lot of other people.

Avira AntiVir is free, lightweight and works just fine.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    £37 That's nearly a decent bottle of wine

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    I refer the Honourable gentlemen to this

£37 you tightwads, you are contractors and loaded I presume

Freebie freaks

Leave a comment:

Working...