• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Google MFA Without Mobile Device"

Collapse

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by Baddish View Post
    well the whole idea of backup device is for when I am overseas and I lose or get my main handy stolen I can have an easy fallback. If I can't have a spare sim then in my opinion the provider hasn't thought through what I think is a common use case. If I am in a country where I can get a replacement EE sim then yes I think this is acceptable but if I can't get replacement from high street then I am scuppered.
    You are scuppered because you can't accept any responsibility and you haven't thought through what you can do as a professional.

Thread closed.

Leave a comment:

• Baddish
    replied
    well the whole idea of backup device is for when I am overseas and I lose or get my main handy stolen I can have an easy fallback. If I can't have a spare sim then in my opinion the provider hasn't thought through what I think is a common use case. If I am in a country where I can get a replacement EE sim then yes I think this is acceptable but if I can't get replacement from high street then I am scuppered.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied

I am with EE.

I have Samsung galaxy with Blackberry priv as back up. My contract is SIM only
    doable with an eSim - not practical with a standard sim.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

I am with EE.

Why don't you ring them an ask rather than putting all this pointless drivel on here and getting the same answer? Like try do something for yourself for a change? You might find it quite refreshing to do something by yourself.

Leave a comment:

• Baddish
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post

You can ask your service provider how much they would charge for a service like that, they may offer it, or they may not.
    We don't know who your provider is, we don't know what type of phone you have, we don't know what type of contract you have.
    I am with EE.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Now that I have a new back up phone as well as my day to day phone I hope to avoid these issues.

Would I be able to ask provider for back up sim so that if I lose my phone and I'm abroad I can make a call and they will activate new sim?
    You can ask your service provider how much they would charge for a service like that, they may offer it, or they may not.
    We don't know who your provider is, we don't know what type of phone you have, we don't know what type of contract you have.

Leave a comment:

• Baddish
    replied
    Now that I have a new back up phone as well as my day to day phone I hope to avoid these issues.

Would I be able to ask provider for back up sim so that if I lose my phone and I'm abroad I can make a call and they will activate new sim?

Leave a comment:

• Baddish
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

You not got a new phone yet and this thread can die?
    I didn't post on these threads for several days and then the poster Dhoog directed a question to me so I answered it.

You are rude and not at all helpful

Leave a comment:

• Baddish
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Couldn't you drop someone an email or phone-call and ask them to sort it? Phone the office, ask to speak to someone, the old fashioned way when we talked to each other?
    Maybe not, this is a genuine question not a snarky comment
    No, there is no such published point of contact - maybe this is hard when the support team is distributed all around the world? All communications to support team is done from within portal.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Couldn't you drop someone an email or phone-call and ask them to sort it? Phone the office, ask to speak to someone, the old fashioned way when we talked to each other?
    Maybe not, this is a genuine question not a snarky comment

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I'm really struggling to believe this and after following your posts I'm even less inclined to believe it. If this is the case you need to feed this back to the service desk team as they've a massive single point of failure. But I doubt they have.

I suspect there is a massive single point of failure - but it's likely to only occur in situations where people are playing tricks, for instance not using a desktop email client or their work laptop.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

The main issue I was facing here was I needed to authenticate with 2FA in order to be able to raise support ticket to reset 2FA.
    I'm really struggling to believe this and after following your posts I'm even less inclined to believe it. If this is the case you need to feed this back to the service desk team as they've a massive single point of failure. But I doubt they have.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    CBA to read the whole thread, but anything that needs Google 2FA I use Authy rather than the google authticator which has a desktop application not just your phone

https://authy.com/

Leave a comment:

• Baddish
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    CBA to read the long thread but assume you were actually able to resolve this OP - can you summarise the process?

My client can disable 2FA on their VPN on a per-user basis or for everyone in case of issues on their end.
    I wondered if you could get a cheap Android tablet or disposable phone easily enough. I assume even though you can run Android Apps on a Windows PC these days, authenticator won't work that way otherwise this could have been an idea.
    The main issue I was facing here was I needed to authenticate with 2FA in order to be able to raise support ticket to reset 2FA. Originally my attention was to use my ipad then to perform 2FA but they needed to reset 2FA in my security settings and then I was needing to scan in a barcode in the ios Google authenticator app to get it to work.

In the end by going around in many circles I had a colleague raise support ticket for me and support desk reset 2FA for me so I can set up on ios or android but by that time my new android handy had arrived and I don't think reset was necessary as the 2FA in google authenticate is associated with my google account and is portable across any android device.

I now also have back up android device.
    Last edited by Baddish; 7 July 2022, 18:00.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    CBA to read the long thread but assume you were actually able to resolve this OP - can you summarise the process?

My client can disable 2FA on their VPN on a per-user basis or for everyone in case of issues on their end.
    I wondered if you could get a cheap Android tablet or disposable phone easily enough. I assume even though you can run Android Apps on a Windows PC these days, authenticator won't work that way otherwise this could have been an idea.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X