• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Terminology....

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Terminology...."

Collapse

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Just switch them all off and see who screams.
    The trouble is, with a 25 year retention period on some stuff, it could be decades before someone notices

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    My usual description of the need for a CMDB...

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Easy to do with the official stuff - far harder when you don't know where they exist.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    ...so we have to ask the users which network storage resources they use for their jobs...

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post

For some reason I imagine this is you talking to the comms people.

I'm not sure which side of the counter I was on

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    To appease a comms person I need a friendly explanation of what a network share is. I've mentioned it's sometimes called 'shared network drive', 'mapped drive' etc but the comms person is insistent that no-one outside IT knows what those terms mean and I must provide a different description.

I'm stumped, what would you describe such a thing as?
    For some reason I imagine this is you talking to the comms people.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Fine. But a network share, in layman's terms, is where you put files that are to be shared, as opposed to things on your C: drive (aka Microsoft's default locations) that aren't. How they are shared and how users connect to them is not all that relevant, beyond knowing what they are.

I once had to track down some 300-plus virtual C: drives on an EMC array hosting a lesser number of virtual PCs (the balance had been deleted over the years) in a dying DR datacentre,. Given EMC is a black box solution, this was less that straightforward and took time and a degree of trial and error. So I have a lot of sympathy for your predicament, but the blockage is the idiot in comms, not anyone in IT nor the users. AS I suspect you already know!

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post

All right, "where do you save files that others in your team/department/company can see and share?"...

If they can't answer that, there's no point in asking then.

Also this is an AD admin question, who should have all these things mapped already.
    Some people access shared drives using the \\server\share route from Run or a desktop shortcut or by pasting a link into explorer and some via drives mapped by logon script. Different departments have different destination drive mappings. Some shares are on kit owned by the client's ex-parent company. Some are on kit owned by the client. Data ownership in any given share could be the ex-parent or the client. It's a 15 year old mess of cobbled together crud because the parent co has merged with / taken over several companies, split them off, bought some more etc etc.

I don't think an AD admin mapping a drive or two will fix any of that so we have to ask the users which network storage resources they use for their jobs and the comms person has no technology experience so is obtusely asking for the definition of a network share as they think all the users are as challenged as them.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied

All right, "where do you save files that others in your team/department/company can see and share?"...

Also this is an AD admin question, who should have all these things mapped already.
    Hardly - this is classic shadow IT where people are doing what works for them based on the idea of a vaguely IT literate colleague.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied

What's Explorer?

(that would be their next question)

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    To get back to non it English,"Where do you keep files in Explorer that other people in your team can also see".

If your comms guy can't cope with that, take it upstairs...
    What's Explorer?

(that would be their next question)

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    To get back to non it English,"Where do you keep files in Explorer that other people in your team can also see".

If your comms guy can't cope with that, take it upstairs...

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Ended up calling it a 'shared network drive' and then describing it as 'storage that is not on your computer and requires you to be on the corporate network (either in the office or on the VPN) in order to access it' with an example screen shot to show the Network Locations section under My PC.

At least they're all on Win10 so I don't have to consider Mac or other nonsense.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I am "this close"
    Why? Take the smegger out.

Leave a comment:

• SteelyDan
    replied
    To appease a comms person I need a friendly explanation of what a network share is. I've mentioned it's sometimes called 'shared network drive', 'mapped drive' etc but the comms person is insistent that no-one outside IT knows what those terms mean and I must provide a different description.

I'm stumped, what would you describe such a thing as?
    An electronic shared filing cabinet where multiple, approved people only, have keys to access, retrieve, or store, information/data/filing cabinet contents??
    Just trying to keep it as simple as possible.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X