• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Temporary fibre internet outages several times a day - normal?"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Turns out a simple bash script can probably do it in one line though I've not ironed out the details since *nix cmd line is not a place I'm at home.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    What would be a safe IP to ping without it being flagged as spam - and realistically how often might I ping? This is an easy enough thing to sort out unless there is some little doodad.

I mean coding something would not take long but why reinvent the wheel.
    google.com is the go to one. It wouldn't surprise me if google didn't have servers dedicated to the task (yahoo used to).

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    See also:

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ml#post2799604

I had an unreliable connection until I did this.
    Yeah I saw that. I got a 3rd-party unit a while back after my 3rd BT one failed!

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    See also:

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ml#post2799604

I had an unreliable connection until I did this.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    If your PC is on 24/7 you can run ping and pipe the output to a logfile. I recall either myself or someone else posting a quick script for this on this forum a while back.
    What would be a safe IP to ping without it being flagged as spam - and realistically how often might I ping? This is an easy enough thing to sort out unless there is some little doodad.

I mean coding something would not take long but why reinvent the wheel.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by HoofHearted View Post
    Not strictly true with PlusNet, they'll open a case without it but it wouldn't hurt for if they come back and say everything's fine
    I've found them fair disinterested which is why I thought gathering evidence would help me push them to respond properly.

I can't easily prove it is not an issue with my router/modem - it reports no connection but of course that could be a firmware glitch or whatever. I figured if I have logs then PlusNet can corroborate them against theirs - but hence my question do they have such logs for every household's connectivity?

Leave a comment:

• hairymouse
    replied
    If it helps, I have Plusnet for ADSL and I've noticed that my internet regularly drops out for a second or so every once in a while.

It might be worth checking the power saving settings for the network connection (?!!) , apparently windows wants to put it to sleep if not used sometimes. It's the final tab on the properties window. HTH

Leave a comment:

• HoofHearted
    replied
    Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    You need to get the evidence and send it to your ISP when you log a case.
    Not strictly true with PlusNet, they'll open a case without it but it wouldn't hurt for if they come back and say everything's fine

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    If your PC is on 24/7 you can run ping and pipe the output to a logfile. I recall either myself or someone else posting a quick script for this on this forum a while back.

You need to get the evidence and send it to your ISP when you log a case.

I had a similar probem with my FTTP connection and it turned out I had a dodgy wifi router. Quick replace by the engineer and problem solved.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by edison View Post
    Yep, exactly the same with Virgin on the same service.

It's particularly been a pain since they swapped our router several times when they moved to the Super Hub 3 about 2 years ago.
    Fork out the extra for Virgin Business broadband and those updates are pushed in the middle of the night with 2 weeks prior notice...

Leave a comment:

• HoofHearted
    replied
    PlusNet, cable direct to router (engineer checked and replaced the socket) then CAT6. But this isn't an issue with my computer alone, all devices wired and WiFi.

Why would I turn my computer off? Then I have to waste time restarting it!
    We're with PlusNet (40/10 FTTC) and I WFH using RDP all the time, and we never encounter this sort of problem. Although my PC is turned off every night the router (Netgear D6400) stays powered up for other devices.

If you haven't already I'd raise a ticket with PlusNet, IME they're pretty good at tech problems (although not as good as they were before BT bought them and they had a massive publicity drive).

Leave a comment:

• edison
    replied
    Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
    We're on Virgin cable (350/30) and see the same thing. Much more noticeable when you wfh. I asked a Virgin engineer once abut it and he said sometimes they push out new router configs that can cause the router to reboot but some days ours went down 4 or 5 times a day. then we'd go months without it happening at all.

They never show as faults on Virgin.

Doesn't help much I know but at least you're not alone eh ?
    Yep, exactly the same with Virgin on the same service.

It's particularly been a pain since they swapped our router several times when they moved to the Super Hub 3 about 2 years ago.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Because I own more than one device
    That didn't answer the "how" part though, did it? Its very possible for multiple devices to have an issue and the issue to be within your network. Have the ISP confirmed the issue is between them and your router?
    Last edited by Paralytic; 11 August 2020, 07:27.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    I never knew you worked in a call centre.
    Everyone that "works in IT" and has a partner, or parent(s) is a call centre.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    OK, if you won’t reboot, I can’t help.
    I never knew you worked in a call centre.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X