• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Dyson fans

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Dyson fans"

Collapse

• DimPrawn
    replied
    9000 BTU WIFI Smart A++ easy-fit DC Inverter Wall Split Air Conditioner with 5 meters pipe kit iQool9 | Appliances Direct

Proper heating, cooling, dehumidifying

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Either buy a sturdy fan that doesn't cost more than a holiday in Greece, or buy proper fitted split unit aircon.

It's that simple.

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Albert
    replied
    I've got one of these that my grandparents bought in the 50's. It gets plenty of use and has never failed. Obviously it's an awful business model and had they gone down the Dyson route they might still be in business.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I'm so with you on this and have been an ex Dyson fan we've found out the hard way.

Yes... they are pretty effing good when you've gotten over the price of them but looking back I have to say we've had no end of problems with them all. I certainly don't feel we've had our moneys worth at all. Two uprights and three hand helds in and looking back every one of them have been problematic and have had to be changed due to infuriating problems and cost of repairs. They all get clogged with dust pretty easily, something I don't remember with other products. I seem have have them in bits digging out clogs more times than I care to remember and all have broken in the end. The handhelds all started working intermittently to the point we got sick of it and had to shell out again.

It's going to be weird not using them, bit like having your iphone taken away but I'm sure when the replacement lasts longer and does the same job for the half the price we'll get over it.

Overall not very good for the price we paid so we will be going elsewhere in future. Based on this we won't touch any of the new products. They look funky but aren't giving us anything new that existing products can't give so we are out also.
    Feeling the same now. £600 spend on two fans that don't work.

qh

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Not sure a bagless vacuum or a super-quiet fan are solutions to non-problems but I agree they are VERY pricey - though we're not supposed to mention that on CUK!

I really like the idea of the fan - but hard to justify. And is it them that do the fancy hand-driers/cleaners, they always seemed a good product?
    Those Dyson hand driers are pretty unhygienic. Have a look at the crap at the bottom of one which gets sprayed around each time they turn on. They're good at getting your hands dry quickly and thats about it....

Are Hand Dryers Actually Full of Bacteria? A Viral Photo Doesn’t Tell the Whole Story - The New York Times

Using a Dyson hand dryer is like setting off a viral bomb in a bathroom [Updated] | Ars Technica

Hand dryers v paper towels: the surprisingly dirty fight for the right to dry your hands | Society | The Guardian

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Never bought into the whole Dyson (fanboi ) thing.

Solutions looking for a problem. Over priced, over complicated, unreliable, made overseas (probably on the cheap).

For that reason I'm out.
    Not sure a bagless vacuum or a super-quiet fan are solutions to non-problems but I agree they are VERY pricey - though we're not supposed to mention that on CUK!

I really like the idea of the fan - but hard to justify. And is it them that do the fancy hand-driers/cleaners, they always seemed a good product?

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    The problem with single hose AC is that much of the energy is taken up by cooling its own compressor. Two hose ACs are more efficient.
    It isn't in constant use, and automatically turns on when the ambient room temperature =26 Centigrade, and off again when it is =22 Centigrade. Sufficiently efficient (Occam's Razor).

If I really want efficiency, I'd put in an Split-Inverter system (it is on the cards for a cleaner install in bedrooms / living area).

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    20 years old, never a problem, gets used inside and out: Amazon.de: Siemens VS59E20 XS Dino Bodenstaubsauger / 2200 Watt / Ultra Air II Hygienefilterung / rot

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Scruff View Post
    I have one of these in my office - Aircon works, fans just blow warm air around...

Buy electriQ 12000 BTU Quiet Portable Air Conditioner - for rooms up to 30sqm from Aircon Direct
    The problem with single hose AC is that much of the energy is taken up by cooling its own compressor. Two hose ACs are more efficient.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Ours is a Henry Xtra, it's 10 years old and has survived having an extension put on the back of the house and having two rooms sandblasted. Still going strong.
    Same for me. They last forever, all the dirt and dust goes into a super strong bag with great filtration. But they aren't cool or trendy.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Sexist.

I got a Hetty.

Ours is a Henry Xtra, it's 10 years old and has survived having an extension put on the back of the house and having two rooms sandblasted. Still going strong.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    There's only one mains powered cleaner worth having.
    British designed
    British made
    And a fraction of the price of a Dyson.
    The Home of the Henry
    Sexist.

I got a Hetty.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I'm so with you on this and have been an ex Dyson fan we've found out the hard way.

Yes... they are pretty effing good when you've gotten over the price of them but looking back I have to say we've had no end of problems with them all. I certainly don't feel we've had our moneys worth at all. Two uprights and three hand helds in and looking back every one of them have been problematic and have had to be changed due to infuriating problems and cost of repairs. They all get clogged with dust pretty easily, something I don't remember with other products. I seem have have them in bits digging out clogs more times than I care to remember and all have broken in the end. The handhelds all started working intermittently to the point we got sick of it and had to shell out again.

It's going to be weird not using them, bit like having your iphone taken away but I'm sure when the replacement lasts longer and does the same job for the half the price we'll get over it.

Overall not very good for the price we paid so we will be going elsewhere in future. Based on this we won't touch any of the new products. They look funky but aren't giving us anything new that existing products can't give so we are out also.
    There's only one mains powered cleaner worth having.
    British designed
    British made
    And a fraction of the price of a Dyson.
    The Home of the Henry

Leave a comment:

• Anonimouse
    replied
    Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
    The always broke NHS spent its (our) money on expensive Dyson fans?? Say its not true! hahaha
    Our always broke NHS bought 800 squid headsets, plus ipad2 airs with unlimited sims then deployed them unlocked

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    Originally posted by quackhandle View Post

Bought one of the new ones, a Pure Cool Me (should be Fool Me, as I have been) in April for £299. Stopped worked last week. In guarantee so getting a like for like replacement. Turns out they are out of stock, so have to wait until August 20th...
    qh
    I have one of these in my office - Aircon works, fans just blow warm air around...

Buy electriQ 12000 BTU Quiet Portable Air Conditioner - for rooms up to 30sqm from Aircon Direct

Leave a comment:

Working...
X