• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "A level student thinking of becoming a coder."

Collapse

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    Originally posted by cannon999 View Post
    Forget humility, tell me your niche. I will look into it so I can be on £750 a day
    Told the story before about the old COBOL guy at RBS on £1200 a day when I was there to sit there all day encase of emergency’s (after they lost £120M in 2 hours after they replaced him with outsourced resources and retired him) and fecked all worldwide swift payments - he fixed it over the phone in 5 mins and has now been there for 7 years since - to this day I will never forget the day when he was introduced to pair programming

I had to pick him up off the floor as he was laughing so hard we thought he was having a fit

4 pint lunch every day also

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Leave a comment:

• Snarf
    replied
    Forget humility, tell me your niche. I will look into it so I can be on £750 a day
    Unfortunately by your own logic as you are no longer < 16 you will be unable to learn the new skills required to net you that day rate.

Leave a comment:

• cannon999
    replied
    Originally posted by Amanensia View Post
    Well I'm a grey-haired oldster. I've been contracting for 20 years and my first and still lowest-ever rate was £750. You don't want to know what I'm on now. I don't think that makes me "special" in any way, mostly I'm just lucky that I am in a very in-demand niche and pretty good at what I do. Maybe when you get a bit older you'll learn some humility to go with your self-declared rocket-scientist intelligence. It's worth it, believe me.

Leave a comment:

• Snarf
    replied
    My limited years of experience in the industry converted very quickly into a 650/d rate outside of London. That's because I am a 'Top Developer' and you are a laptop bag
    +1 for putting top developer in quotes... I have no doubt that you are indeed a "top developer".

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Oh one can barely wait for hubris to come calling with this young padawan.

One can appreciate why he hasn't got an accountant any more: he knows it all.

However did we s get all this stuff working back in the day without having started programming at 7.

I think computers were still running with magnetic core memory and transistor CPUs were the new coming thing when I was that age.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 12 December 2019, 18:43.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    My limited years of experience in the industry converted very quickly into a 650/d rate outside of London. That's because I am a 'Top Developer' and you are a laptop bag
    INKSE

Leave a comment:

• Amanensia
    replied
    Yes I have heard that from a lot of people in this forum including the topic starter, that you need some sort of special or as you call it 'overall' experience to become a contractor. You can keep believing that your years of experience actually matter in the job market whilst quietly warming the bench. The reality as I said any highly intelligent developer that I graduated with will leave you grey hairs behind after spending a couple of years in the industry.
    Well I'm a grey-haired oldster. I've been contracting for 20 years and my first and still lowest-ever rate was £750. You don't want to know what I'm on now. I don't think that makes me "special" in any way, mostly I'm just lucky that I am in a very in-demand niche and pretty good at what I do. Maybe when you get a bit older you'll learn some humility to go with your self-declared rocket-scientist intelligence. It's worth it, believe me.

Leave a comment:

• cannon999
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    Well done - we are all very proud. I'm sure you're an excellent developer, but IMHO your arrogance and over confidence demonstrates a lack of overall experience. Your comments in this thread have been telling.
    Yes I have heard that from a lot of people in this forum including the topic starter, that you need some sort of special or as you call it 'overall' experience to become a contractor. You can keep believing that your years of experience actually matter in the job market whilst quietly warming the bench. The reality as I said any highly intelligent developer that I graduated with will leave you grey hairs behind after spending a couple of years in the industry.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Well done - we are all very proud. I'm sure you're an excellent developer, but IMHO your arrogance and over confidence demonstrates a lack of overall experience. Your comments in this thread have been telling.
    £650 a day as a developer outside London

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Last edited by vwdan; 12 December 2019, 07:55.

Leave a comment:

• cannon999
    replied
    Why am I ultimately not surprised that Mr "I'm a 'Top Developer'" has got less than 3 years in the industry... My bloody laptop bag has more experience in the workplace than he does.

Unfortunately, not many multi-nationals would let me architect infrastructure for them when I was at school, so I'm never going to be considered one of the greats

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    Thanks for that, I was feeling a bit down, but having read

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ense-rule.html

I'm all better now.
    Why am I ultimately not surprised that Mr "I'm a 'Top Developer'" has got less than 3 years in the industry... My bloody laptop bag has more experience in the workplace than he does.

Unfortunately, not many multi-nationals would let me architect infrastructure for them when I was at school, so I'm never going to be considered one of the greats
    Last edited by vwdan; 11 December 2019, 22:32.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Your other posts have been a good laugh, too.
    Thanks for that, I was feeling a bit down, but having read

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ense-rule.html

I'm all better now.

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    That's blindingly obvious surely?

Cannon may well have been unable to learn to programme without the early start, but that says a lot more about his ability to learn than it does about other individuals ability to learn.

For me, I learned more about logical thinking and troubleshooting from working with electronics, and from rigging PA systems than I ever did from programming. And they were done from the age of 17 and 19 respectively.
    Yeah, but by that point Cannon was writing advanced AI which could have done all that for you. Quite why he's spending his time on CUK instead of his Yacht I'm not sure, though - but I for one appreciate his desire to come and give some back to the plebs.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by Amanensia View Post
    Blimey. I thought you were being argumentative, but you really are just thick.
    That's blindingly obvious surely?

Cannon may well have been unable to learn to programme without the early start, but that says a lot more about his ability to learn than it does about other individuals ability to learn.

For me, I learned more about logical thinking and troubleshooting from working with electronics, and from rigging PA systems than I ever did from programming. And they were done from the age of 17 and 19 respectively.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X