• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Anyone going to buy a .dev domain?"

Collapse

• woohoo
    replied
    It's worth noting that some signup forms won't accept .dev

I can't remember if it was Microsoft but it was a large company.

Leave a comment:

• truffy
    replied
    Wish my name was Dave then I could get davethe.dev, debbiethe.dev would be good too, any name with the even sounds sort of good, wonder if location and service names would be worth getting, say londonjava.dev, possibly could be found easier worth a think.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    A while ago a friend and I were seriously considering buying some .mp domains as they seemed cheap and available... tru.mp, etc. But it seemed this was not the case when we looked more closely.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Just looked and saw a great one for an old school photographer... C41.DEV.

Still available for anyone out there with a Canon F1, Olympus OM-1n, Nikon F3 or Pentax LX

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I looked up firstnamelastname.dev and it was something like €18/year. I looked up lastname.dev and it was 4-5X as much. I wonder what it's based on... just length? Whether the .com is taken as well?
    I'm not sure, I did a quick google and couldn't find anything useful. I know my Surname.com is gone and it's relatively well known (not by me), but yep no idea.
    Last edited by woohoo; 6 March 2019, 11:39.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I looked up firstnamelastname.dev and it was something like €18/year. I looked up lastname.dev and it was 4-5X as much. I wonder what it's based on... just length? Whether the .com is taken as well?

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    What'd you pay? As expected above?
    I waited till Thursday so didnt pay the fee. But paid the £82 because it was a premium domain and google wanted to take me for as much as possible.

I'm using it now with my office 365 subscription and it's pretty cool.
    Last edited by woohoo; 4 March 2019, 11:42. Reason: spelling and missing out words.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    What'd you pay? As expected above?

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    I got nickfitz.dev from gandi.net today for, as I recall, £14 and change. I suppose I'll get around to doing something with it eventually…
    I bought my surname .dev will use it for email. My company name is difficult to spell, my surname is a little easier.

I’m also going to setup aliases when I give it out to shops, online services. So for example [email protected] then i should be able to see who they pass my details onto.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    That Zeity chap went for TotalWorldDomination.dev and I've gone for GlobalThermonuclearWarWithCobaltThoriumG.dev.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    I got nickfitz.dev from gandi.net today for, as I recall, £14 and change. I suppose I'll get around to doing something with it eventually…

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    started a topic Anyone going to buy a .dev domain?

Anyone going to buy a .dev domain?

I quite fancy buying the .dev domain for my name. I use my company domain but tbh it's a pain to spell, so was thinking [email protected] might be the way to go.

Google have gone for dutch auction approach for buying the .dev. Right now the domain I want has been reduced to £106 fee, then £82 for the year.

Google Domains

If i wait till Thursday then the fee is 0 but not sure if the £82 for the year will be reduced or what the renewal cost is.

Anyone else dived in?

Working...
X