• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "MBP 2011/2012s reach the end of the road"

Collapse

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Farewell Apple...
    I'm not sure I could go back to Windows. There's lots to like but even more to hate :-(

I'll be interested to hear about what you miss and what you what you don't as you switch.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by madame SasGuru View Post
    Access Denied will get you 10% off at the outlet.

Personally I would be looking at Latitude Business machines (you get 3 years onsite support included in the price). https://outlet.euro.dell.com/Online/...cYtfyTmQ%3d%3d nearly meets your criteria but only has a 256gb disk. It is however about £640 after the discount above and you can upgrade the ssd if you need to down the line...

If you want the inspiron it's actually cheaper new than at the outlet at the moment but you'll only get a single years support....

Also ring them for the discount - Dell's sales really don't bite....

Oh and for me the Surfacebook is partly for show - it's part of the demonstration why I'm more expensive than other consultancies....
    Update:

I called Dell and got a good deal on a Latitude 5491.

The biggest problem was my hesitation before the move to Windows.

Farewell Apple...

But thanks guys!

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Did you go into the shop for that? (I can imagine open box deals in-store).
    Indeed I did yes.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    I shopped there too. Bought a new but open box ASUS i7 laptop for GBP 399. Chucked in a 1Tb Crucial SSD upgrade after a couple months. Said ASUS cooks on gas now. Very nice. Very cheap.
    Did you go into the shop for that? (I can imagine open box deals in-store).

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    You can experiment with various OS's too.
    If you've really nothing better to do with your life

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Looking at the John Lewis website now (I can get 5% IPSE discount too).
    I shopped there too. Bought a new but open box ASUS i7 laptop for GBP 399. Chucked in a 1Tb Crucial SSD upgrade after a couple months. Said ASUS cooks on gas now. Very nice. Very cheap.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    No Mojave for me or my MBP

Time to look at PCs I guess.
    My 2011 MBP can't have it either, but then again 7 years for a laptop I use everyday is bloody good going!

Leave a comment:

• contractorinatractor
    replied
    What do you want to do with the laptop? Are you a programmer or a project manager?

Consider something second hand. A Thinkpad x250 or models above can be had for a couple of hundred quid. You can install Mint Linux and do the majority of what you require ok a day to day basis as a PM, for example.

You can run WINE to emulate windows software if there are a few things you need to get working.

It's the best change I've made. I also came from a Mac world too before this. Unlike others here I see laptops as consumables and expect them to die every few years, so ensure your backups are arranged well. 'Timeshift' makes this easy.

Leave a comment:

• madame SasGuru
    replied
    Access Denied will get you 10% off at the outlet.

Personally I would be looking at Latitude Business machines (you get 3 years onsite support included in the price). https://outlet.euro.dell.com/Online/...cYtfyTmQ%3d%3d nearly meets your criteria but only has a 256gb disk. It is however about £640 after the discount above and you can upgrade the ssd if you need to down the line...

If you want the inspiron it's actually cheaper new than at the outlet at the moment but you'll only get a single years support....

Also ring them for the discount - Dell's sales really don't bite....

Oh and for me the Surfacebook is partly for show - it's part of the demonstration why I'm more expensive than other consultancies....
    Last edited by madame SasGuru; 2 October 2018, 10:06.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    I saw that but I must admit that I’m looking at the Inspiron 7000. Dell Inspiron 7370

But I will hold off until 3pm.
    Looks good for a budget laptop!

I've gone with the surface book 2 but it's damned expensive but should last me for 3 years at least.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    I saw that but I must admit that I’m looking at the Inspiron 7000. Dell Inspiron 7370

But I will hold off until 3pm.

Leave a comment:

• madame SasGuru
    replied
    Dell XPS 13 Laptop, Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 13.3”, 4K Ultra HD, Epic Silver at John Lewis & Partners
    or wait until 3pm and see if any appear in Dell's outlet at https://outlet.euro.dell.com/Online/...=dfh&brandid=7

Equally the SurfaceBook and Surface are very nice machines and the new Surface laptops should be announced today - my day to day machine is a SurfaceBook 2 - not cheap but very nice....
    Last edited by madame SasGuru; 2 October 2018, 09:28.

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    If you're considering a new Mac, it's worth asking if your local Apple store do a corp discount for ClientCo. I've found I can usually get 8-12% off new Apple gear by presenting ClientCo ID.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Looking at the John Lewis website now (I can get 5% IPSE discount too).

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    I need a decent build that will last at least 4 years (I hate buying laptops).

Now woohoo had a good thread about this, so I'm off to do a bit of digging.
    You can experiment with various OS's too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X