• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Power over Ethernet (POE) CCTV Recommendations"

Collapse

• darrylmg
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    ... she'd set up and had various pictures of cats...
    Tell me a woman that doesn't!
    Also, from the cats' point of view, that's got be to be against GDPrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Sent from my SM-T280 using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I've got the hikvisions and I love them but to be fair I've not got round to setting the alerts up. I'm out in the sticks a bit so I'm aware local wildlife and pets would set them off. Someone at work has them and was showing me how she'd set up and had various pictures of cats. Doesn't bother her and commented its a small price to pay. She's happy with hers as well.

I'd have still got what I've got even with the false starts. That said I've no experience with other systems.

But... All said and done once it's in it'll be there for a good long time so I wouldn't be scrimping on price if the more expensive system did exactly what I wanted.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Sorry to dig up an old thread however I am looking for some CCTV cameras for around my property (Hikvision with NVR), however I was speaking to a chap of a company who supplies and fits these things.

He stated that CCTV camera aren't the best if you want motion alerting on them, as with wind/cats/foxes, etc it will be going off all the time and it is a pain to turn off. I am not sure if he was just saying this as he was trying to sell me "Beams" as well that would provide the motion sensing whilst the CCTV is on record 24/7. Any truth in this? I just want 3 decent CCTV cameras that will alert me if anyone comes close to my property.

One quote I got last week was £699 and the chap above was talking more than double for that.

qh

Leave a comment:

• portseven
    replied
    Cisco Meraki do good CCTV cameras, catch is that its cloud based model, as well as the initial cost of the camera you need to pay for access to them.

They are v-good though.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by adubya View Post
    Three Hikvision cams + NVR here, good kit.
    Same with 7 cameras BUT.. I'm having a bit of an issue with the night time quality. I've got the dome ones on the wall that are pushed as far as they can go to look down at the wall to cover the door. These ones are suffering so picture quality at night. The alarm guy things it's because the infra red LED's around the camera are reflecting off either the plastic at the edges or the housing itself to the picture is washed out.

I've got my alarm man coming round to look at it at some point and try clean or reposition them but it's not really acceptable at the moment so just watch out of this. Might be worth checking out a different option to the dome one if you are looking down a wall. I might have to go for a bracket to take it off the wall which won't look that pretty.

I'll keep you updated.

Leave a comment:

• Spoiler
    replied
    Not bought yet, but have been looking at the Ubiquiti cameras & NVR, to go with the UBNT APs/POE switch I've got...

No doorbell though !

Leave a comment:

• Einstein Jnr
    replied
    I had the hikvision as well - the only problem was I thought they would be a wider angle so had to either double up in some rooms or choose one area which was more important and ignore another. It was my first cctv setup and the guy who helped me install it told me when he is doing pro gigs the plan out the whole space and then map it to the camera ranges available depending on requirements eg baby cam monitoring vs security. Best of luck.

Leave a comment:

• adubya
    replied
    Three Hikvision cams + NVR here, good kit.

Leave a comment:

• Gomez
    replied
    Originally posted by silverlight1 View Post
    Can anyone recommend a home CCTV system that uses Power over Ethernet (I have CAT6a cables all plumbed in for this).

Was thinking of HIkvision for this

Most of the "home" CCTV systems (Netgear, Nestcam etc) don't tend to do POE.

Probably looking to spend around £1k on a full system with 4 external cameras

Thanks
    I went for Hikvision. Just got one of the bullet cameras. Has been very reliable in a year and half of use. PoE is great way to go. Just make sure you get up to date firmware as Hik have had some problems with vulnerabilities in the past. Also recommend setting up non standard ports for your port forwarding. Keeps the casual scanners at bay.

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    No experience of the cameras, but Ubiquiti ones get well reviewed and I've been impressed with the network gear I have from them

Leave a comment:

• Agent
    replied
    I have a grandstream setup, all POE along with a Doorbird doorbell which is also POE.

If you're considering CCTV and haven't already got a video doorbell, I'd highly recommend it.

Pretty sure this is the model that I have - GXV3610_FHD

http://www.grandstream.com/products/...3610-v2-series
    Last edited by Agent; 11 July 2018, 07:55.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by silverlight1 View Post
    Can anyone recommend a home CCTV system that uses Power over Ethernet (I have CAT6a cables all plumbed in for this).

Thanks

I got some from China for about £160. They seemed OK but were just a bit tulip. One failed completely after 4 months, the other lost its IR lights a month later.
    Buy from a reputable source.

Leave a comment:

• silverlight1
    started a topic Power over Ethernet (POE) CCTV Recommendations

Power over Ethernet (POE) CCTV Recommendations

Thanks

Working...
X