• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Thanks for the memory..."

Collapse

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    The memory was from the compatible list and is now installed - unplug power lead, press button hidden behind power connector, door pops open, open cage, insert memory cards, close it up.
    Machine is now running with 40GB of RAM

Is that enough to run MS Word?
    Only until the next release.....

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    The memory was from the compatible list and is now installed - unplug power lead, press button hidden behind power connector, door pops open, open cage, insert memory cards, close it up.
    Machine is now running with 40GB of RAM

Is that enough to run MS Word?

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    Providing you choose off the listing that Crucial show as compatible, then you should have no worries. I can't recall ever having problems even running different brands together. But choosing memory only from the compatibility list is the best option, for sure. If it doesn't work they'll change it or refund you no problem anyway.
    ^^^ +1

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    But may not be from the same batch for pairing purposes*

The may or may not be an issue depending on processor and motherboard...
    Providing you choose off the listing that Crucial show as compatible, then you should have no worries. I can't recall ever having problems even running different brands together. But choosing memory only from the compatibility list is the best option, for sure. If it doesn't work they'll change it or refund you no problem anyway.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    The implication from Crucial is that it doesn't need to be paired. We'll see when it arrives.
    In the meantime I have discovered that the 2TB hybrid drive is actually 2TB of hard disk plus 128GB of solid state.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Placing the order now with Crucial, they were a bit less than the other places, also if you order 2x single 16GB rather than 1 pack of 2x 16GB, it's cheaper!
    But may not be from the same batch for pairing purposes*

The may or may not be an issue depending on processor and motherboard...

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Placing the order now with Crucial, they were a bit less than the other places, also if you order 2x single 16GB rather than 1 pack of 2x 16GB, it's cheaper!

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    I may wait for the new company purchase to arrive before ordering the extra memory, just to make sure I get the right stuff.

Leave a comment:

• RSoles
    replied
    I use Crucial too. I use their memory compatibility widget on their website and order it from there.
    +1

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Simples, you wear a white coat, wear a Motorhead tee shirt, have a couple of biros and a screwdriver in the coat chest pocket. Then you carry said monitor to your van to take it for repair.
    Or in my case wheel it out using a cargo trolly borrowed from the security office. Those things are heavy, wouldn't want Health and Safety getting involved!

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Back in the day used to nick it from work.

Proper contracting.

Might start a ‘what have you nicked from work over the years’ thread.

Getting that 24” widescreen CRT Sun monitor out was no easy task...
    Simples, you wear a white coat, wear a Motorhead tee shirt, have a couple of biros and a screwdriver in the coat chest pocket. Then you carry said monitor to your van to take it for repair.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    I use Crucial too. I use their memory compatibility widget on their website and order it from there. Always works and arrives the next day. I also have the same experience with Kingston. But just use Crucial from habit, I guess.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    i've found Crucial to be good value too, - and for SSD's

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Scan.co.uk / overclockers.co.uk

Both are offering good prices and service and are dedicated for PC components, I have used them on many occasions.

Amazon.co.uk

The best customer service and often the best price but finding the correct component is a nightmare unless you are looking for something specific and search for it.

Brands, don't really matter if you are not overclocking (which I doubt since you are looking for SODIMMs), look for lifetime warranty, Kingston, Corsair, Pattriot, GeIL are all respectable.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Back in the day used to nick it from work.

Proper contracting.

Might start a ‘what have you nicked from work over the years’ thread.

Getting that 24” widescreen CRT Sun monitor out was no easy task...
    I am proper contracting. I work for my limited company so there's no point in nicking it from them!
    As for nicking it from ClientCo, that would require me to go on-site.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X