• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Good router (BTHH replacement)"

Collapse

• zazou
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Which model HH is it?
    It's a HH4 we have. The 2.4 GHz has gone from nothing to working partly with me changing the settings (we live in a detached house and no new routers in the area).

The new BT Smart Hub might be an option, happy to pay a bit extra if it's more powerful / faster WiFi:
    https://www.productsandservices.bt.c...ucts/smart-hub

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...e+hub+5&_sop=1

Just noticed one in WIltshire (not sure if it's near you) finishes in 6 hours no bids, 99p, because the seller has gone for "collect only"
    Thanks so much for the link. Sadly, I'm 8 hours + on UK time so I missed this overnight, and collection from around 10,000km away might be an issue! Thanks again.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    "Proper" stuff is mean to do things like kick users off an AP to switch them to another - in reality, it's notoriously naff and only really a small improvement on multiple devices on one SSID. The real advantages are from a management perspective, with some niceties thrown in.

Don't get me wrong, an all out enterprise Wi-Fi solution is going to be better than what you have - but the options for home/SoHo are really only half a step better.
    So you're saying Mesh is a bit of a gimmick and there is no good transparent/seamless way to have a "distributed SSID"?

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    Thanks for that. I think it is probably worth looking out for one as a spare then. The HH5 has been a good bit of kit to be honest. I've tried Draytek, Netgear, Belkin, Thomson etc.... The HH5 is a good as any IMO.
    HH5 is pretty solid in my experience. I got a HH6 which had noticeably better range but they are notoriously unreliable. I had two fail and gave up. In fact I think I started a thread here and was recommended some replacements which had a fibre modem included, for about £100.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Thanks for that. I think it is probably worth looking out for one as a spare then. The HH5 has been a good bit of kit to be honest. I've tried Draytek, Netgear, Belkin, Thomson etc.... The HH5 is a good as any IMO.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...e+hub+5&_sop=1

Just noticed one in WIltshire (not sure if it's near you) finishes in 6 hours no bids, 99p, because the seller has gone for "collect only"

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Yes, and the easiest thing to do is to buy them off eBay. Lots of chumps have been sold the line that BT hubs are useless, so they go out and buy another brand then sell their BT one BNIB on eBay. You'll get a replacement HH5 for < £15 and if you're lucky for as little as a fiver.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    My BT HH5 is connected to a VDSL modem. Presumably I'd just buy another "cable" router if mine breaks?
    Yes, and the easiest thing to do is to buy them off eBay. Lots of chumps have been sold the line that BT hubs are useless, so they go out and buy another brand then sell their BT one BNIB on eBay. You'll get a replacement HH5 for < £15 and if you're lucky for as little as a fiver.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    My Draytek router seems to work and you don't have to plug into anything (apart from the BT faceplate and mains obviously).

If it's for (V)DSL just buy one that supports it and ditch the modem.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    My BT HH5 is connected to a VDSL modem. Presumably I'd just buy another "cable" router if mine breaks?

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I would be interested in Mesh WiFi but I haven't figured out if it's actually something special? I can say that simply putting my various WiFi repeaters on the same SSID/password is pretty useless... many devices simply don't jump to the strongest one as you move around. Does one need special kit for mesh - is it hardware or software, and is the idea it should be totally transparent to the client devices?
    "Proper" stuff is mean to do things like kick users off an AP to switch them to another - in reality, it's notoriously naff and only really a small improvement on multiple devices on one SSID. The real advantages are from a management perspective, with some niceties thrown in.

Don't get me wrong, an all out enterprise Wi-Fi solution is going to be better than what you have - but the options for home/SoHo are really only half a step better.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    As it is for me, I give all my WiFi transmitters (4 so far) slightly different names and get used to the idea of manually switching SSID if I want to watch Netflix in the bathroom, etc. A minor annoyance.
    Pretty much the same here - kitchen (Modem Plusnet, soon to be BTSH), lounge (BTHH4), office (BTHH5), attic (BTHH5).
    In fact in the office I also have a BTHH3 with wifi turned off because I needed a couple of extra network points.

I have 2x BTHH3 and a Belkin Router that are going spare, if anyone needs one let me know, free to a good home if you pay the postage.

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    By the looks of that kit, it still uses the BTHH as the "modem" though?
    Yeah it doesn't have a DSL modem included, didn't realise that this is what went wrong with yours. In which case just contact BT (or your current BB provider) to send you a replacement. Not that many good 3rd party routers+DSL modems out there and using one might give you headache if there is an issue with your broadband and provider support is ignorant.

Yes, apart from being a website designed by/for marketing departments, it looks like it's just a variation of powerline networking.

...OK, I've only tried to view the website on an iPad, but there's no substance to it. Click on "Learn More" and you get 2 sentences surrounded by several scrolls of graphics.
    And for that reason, I'm out.
    Agree that the website is a bit over the top and not doing good job at explaining what the product actually is, but it has nothing to do with Powerline, Mesh is a variation of wifi extenders with the hassle of configuration removed here is some info on it:

Mesh Wi-Fi Networks: All you need to know ahead of the Google Wifi UK launch

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I don't think there's a problem using the BTHH as your modem - you presumably can turn off it's WiFi ability.

I would be interested in Mesh WiFi but I haven't figured out if it's actually something special? I can say that simply putting my various WiFi repeaters on the same SSID/password is pretty useless... many devices simply don't jump to the strongest one as you move around. Does one need special kit for mesh - is it hardware or software, and is the idea it should be totally transparent to the client devices?

As it is for me, I give all my WiFi transmitters (4 so far) slightly different names and get used to the idea of manually switching SSID if I want to watch Netflix in the bathroom, etc. A minor annoyance.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Yes, apart from being a website designed by/for marketing departments, it looks like it's just a variation of powerline networking.

...OK, I've only tried to view the website on an iPad, but there's no substance to it. Click on "Learn More" and you get 2 sentences surrounded by several scrolls of graphics.
    And for that reason, I'm out.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    https://amplifi.com/

The future of home WiFi is in Mesh, and this is the Ubiquity answer to that. Making their their enterprise class tech user friendly at soho prices.

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    https://amplifi.com/

The future of home WiFi is in Mesh, and this is the Ubiquity answer to that. Making their their enterprise class tech user friendly at soho prices.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X