• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Transmit TV signal (Freeview) wirelessly?"

Collapse

• adubya
    replied
    Do you get a strong TV signal ? Perhaps a small indoor DVB antenna would work.

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    Transmit TV signal (Freeview) wirelessly?

Get a cromcast or amazon stick and stream or cast

Job done

+ you will get 4K or HD the Telly signal ones are like watching 80’s TV quality

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    Last edited by GhostofTarbera; 27 January 2020, 20:04.

Leave a comment:

• LariPilot
    replied
    Hi...it is wireless between the transmitter and your aerial. You can't have a wireless connection between the aerial and your TV. It would be illegal and interfere with others.
    You either can use the complicated system in post 2 which still requires a cable connection or find a way to run an aerial feed. I'm sure an aerial installer would find a way of running a cable.

Last edited by LariPilot; 1 December 2021, 19:46.

Leave a comment:

• Snarf
    replied
    Depending on how strong the signal is in your area you might not need one at all..

I have a TV in the office for playing old NES & SNES games on. When tuning it for the consoles it picked up all of the freeview channels - the coax wire from the tv to the console (around 1m) was long enough to act as an aerial.

The alternative would be an indoor aerial - there are a load of decent ones that will attach to the wall quite discreetly.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Alias View Post
    I've got one using homeplugs and another p2p not much in it for quality...as its Amazon, not a problem to send back if it doesn't work for you
    Would this interfere with other homeplug use?

Leave a comment:

• Alias
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Looks like a neat product but then I need a p2p ethernet cable between the two rooms. Unless I miss something, I might as easily just wire a coaxial cable instead?!
    I've got one using homeplugs and another p2p not much in it for quality...as its Amazon, not a problem to send back if it doesn't work for you

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Albert
    replied
    Slingbox would work with an Amazon Firestick plugged into the telly.

Buy SLINGBOX 350 HD Media Streamer | Free Delivery | Currys

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    HDHomeRunner sounds like what you need

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Alias View Post
    This works pretty well for me, no issues
    Looks like a neat product but then I need a p2p ethernet cable between the two rooms. Unless I miss something, I might as easily just wire a coaxial cable instead?!

Leave a comment:

• Alias
    replied
    This works pretty well for me, no issues

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    TVman Home WiFi « TVman Home

I got mine from Maplin now discontinued

Or TVheadend or Homerun or

World's First DVB-T/T2 - DVB to IP - Network Tuner

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    "just have a small local transmitter in the house and a portable aerial on the TV" option.
    This might do what you want...

https://ceke.en.alibaba.com/product/...ansmitter.html

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Interesting - yeah the rPi route does open up a lot of "but I don't want a separate PC" options since they're so cheap. I can't recall since I never used one but they support WiFi now, or easily can? So I could plug one into the loft by the master aerial cable. Otherwise I'd have to find a room which has both ethernet and coaxial sockets.

I still would need something in the office to get the signal onto the TV. I could use a 2nd rPi I suppose as a VLC client via HMDI-out. Or I wonder if one of these Google/Amazon dongles can consume VLC?

Only issue here is it starts to get complicated when I want to change channel. I like things simple so in my mind I've got a Coax -> wireless adapter and a wireless->coax adapter, so my TV is ignorant of all the clever stuff happening and my remote still works. Maybe this isn't as simple as it seems although I do come back to the "just have a small local transmitter in the house and a portable aerial on the TV" option.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I don't want to run a separate PC just to let me do this (well not unless I set up an always-on media-server which could do this).
    Sounds like a job for a Raspberry Pi type thing.

Found this:

Watch and record live TV on your Raspberry Pi | TechRadar

Presumably you can skip the recording part (unless you want to) and just keep the streaming to the browser part. As always with Linux though, it's only free if your time is worthless ;-)

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Jim Spector View Post
    That seems a great shout, with the one minor problem in my particular case that the PC I'd have to put the tuner card in is in the same room as the TV i.e. the room that doesn't have a TV point
    I don't want to run a separate PC just to let me do this (well not unless I set up an always-on media-server which could do this).

Actually a secondary issue is that this way I need a PC to watch TV, not a TV. Again, I don't want to set up an additional PC in my office just for TV and I'd rather not have the TV as a 2nd monitor on my main PC because a)it just gets a bit over-complicated b)I probably want a 2nd monitor for work.

Very interesting though, I might revisit it another time if I have a similar but not identical issue.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X